Note: The information below applies to graduates during a typical academic year.
- Graduates do not need tickets to participate in the ceremony.
- You will NOT receive your diploma or certificate at the Commencement Ceremony. If you have met all academic requirements and have no financial obligations to the college, you will be mailed your diploma or certificate six to eight weeks following the semester you completed all requirements.
- If you have a disability or require any special accommodations, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org by July 31, 2020.
- Graduates are asked to leave purses at home or with one of their guests – no provision is made for the security of purses. Additionally, you will not be allowed to carry a purse during the procession.
- Graduates will be walking on AstroTurf and are asked to wear appropriate footwear.
- Graduates are NOT allowed to carry flowers during the processional and ceremony.
Graduate Ceremony Instructions
Please read the following instructions, as there will be NO ceremony rehearsal:
- Graduates must arrive no later than 4:45PM.
- Graduates must enter the Event Center through the North Doors.
- Graduates must check in at the JJC graduation table to pick up your name card. You will be carrying this card throughout the processional and presenting it to the readers as you approach the stage for your diploma cover. Without this name card, your name will NOT be announced.
- The name card is color coded. You will find your designated area by locating the sign that matches the color of your name card. It is imperative that you remain in your assigned space until the processional begins.
- During the processional, your tassel is to hang over the right side of your cap. The cap is to be worn with the short peak in the middle of your forehead and the top board parallel to the ground. Graduates are allowed to wear either a black tassel or a gold Honors tassel (not both). Purple and white tassels are memorabilia and not to be worn during the Commencement Ceremony.
- Once in the Event Center and in your row, remain standing until all the graduates have entered. Do not sit down until instructed to do so by the President of the college.
- Ushers will direct you when to stand with your row to receive your diploma cover and walk across the stage. Once you have exited the stage, you will have your picture taken and receive your gift from the JJC Alumni Association.
- Remain seated until the conclusion of the ceremony at which time the President will instruct you to stand. The President will ask you to move your tassel to the left side of your cap and then to be seated.
- For the recessional, the stage party, administration, faculty, and professional staff will leave the Event Center first. Graduates will follow the Registrar through the Event Center Concourse and out the east doors where they will be dismissed to join their families and guests.
- Graduates are to remain seated during the entire Commencement Ceremony. The ceremony will last approximately two hours.
Please note: No reception will follow the ceremony.
Cap & Gown Ordering
- Caps and gowns must be black.
- If you have your own cap and gown from a previous JJC ceremony you must contact the graduation office at email@example.com by May 30, 2020 to be added to our list of participants.
- Graduates are allowed to wear either a black tassel or a gold Honors tassel (not both).
- Purple and white tassels are memorabilia and are not to be worn during the Commencement Ceremony.
- Caps, gowns, and tassels can be purchased through the Jostens website.
- The deadline to order caps and gowns for the 2020 Commencement Ceremony is May 30, 2020.
- Caps and gowns will be ordered and shipped to the graduate’s address. Regalia will NOT be able to be picked up at JJC on or before the Commencement Ceremony date.
- Administration, Faculty, and Staff please see the Administrator, Faculty, and Staff Participants information below for cap and gown information.
Each graduate will receive up to 5 tickets to the 2020 Commencement Ceremony. Please reserve only the amount of tickets you need.
Tickets will become available at a later date.
When students reserve their tickets they will be given the option to be put on a waitlist for extra tickets IF they become available.