We've gone fully online! Our regular tutors are ready to meet with you online and we've provided more resources to support you in the online learning environment.
Set Yourself Up for Success! Check out our FREE on-demand student skills workshops.
We've partnered with Innovative Educators to provide some great workshops. You can choose which topics you want to explore and then work through the video instruction at your own pace. Most are less than 20 minutes long.
- 10 Habits of Mind for College Success
- 10 Tips for Success In Your Online Course
- Academic Integrity: The Do's and Don'ts
- Developing Critical Thinking Skills
- Effectively Communicating Online
- Exam Preparation Tips & Test-Taking Strategies
- How to Achieve Well-Being, Balance & Success
- How to Reduce Test Anxiety
- Learning Strategies Every Student Should Know
- Online Courses: Staying Motivated & Disciplined
- Taking Tests Online: Strategies for Success
- Time Management: Strategies for Success
To access these courses go to JJC's Student Lingo Site.
You will need to create an account or log in to your account
Make a Virtual Tutoring Appointment
We have online one-on-one appointments with our dedicated JJC tutors. Tutors will log on with you for a 45-minute appointment. You will be able to see your tutor and they will be able to see you. You can also work on a shared whiteboard. You can make an appointment in several different ways:
- Fill out the Appointment Request Form.
- Send us an Email:
- Email Tutoring@jjc.edu
- Include your full name (so we can find you in our system), the class you want to be tutored in and your preferred date and time.
- Monitor your email for information about your appointment.
- Call us at 815.280.2823. If we don't answer, leave a message and we'll return your call within 1 business day.
See what online tutoring looks like in this video.
Join a Virtual Study Group (NEW!)
Do you need a place to connect with others who are taking the same classes as you? Do you need a consistent time dedicated to working on your classes?
Join us for virtual Study Groups
Each study group will be facilitated by tutors who are content experts. Tutors can answer questions, provide resources, facilitate small group discussions, and help schedule additional one-on-one tutoring appointments. Study groups will meet for 2 hours and you can come and go as you need.
The following course specific Study Groups will be available starting January 20. Click the link to access the group.
Math 090,094, and 098
Study Skills (focused on improving time-management, note-taking, test-taking, and other skills that will support your learning in any class)
Prepare for a Placement Test
Looking for a chance to improve your placement scores? JJC's Preparation for Progress placement test program provides FREE tutoring, testing tips and tricks, and student resources to help students remediate and work towards improving their placement scores.
The Prep for Progress program works through the Tutoring and Learning Center to provide the following services to all JJC students:
- One on one virtual tutoring appointments with a TLC tutor in English, reading, or math prep
- Online resources and student videos to help students navigate online learning and testing environments
- Remote access to ALEKS prep and learning modules and Accuplacer resources
- Student help and support for continued academic success!
The TLC also provides online and virtual test preparation assistance for English and math placement testing within Accuplacer and ALEKS. TLC tutor's are available to meet with students virtually to prepare to take JJC's placement tests.
Find a Virtual TEAS Workshop (New dates for Spring 2021!)
January 28 @ 10:00 am
February 1 @ 5:00 pm
March 3 @ 12:00 pm
April 6 @ 5:00 pm
April 28 @ 10:00 am
May 19 @ 12:00 pm
May 24 @ 5:00 pm
June 2 @ 10:00 am
January 27 @ 4:00 pm
February 3 @ 1:00 pm
March 4 @ 4:00 pm
April 13 @ 12:00 pm
May 13 @ 4:00 pm
May 26 @ 1:00 pm
June 3 @ 4:00 pm
January 28 @11:30 am
February 1 @ 6:30 pm
March 3 @ 1:30 pm
April 6 @ 6:30 pm
April 28 @ 11:30 am
May 19 @ 1:30 pm
May 24 @ 6:30 pm
June 2 @ 11:30 am
January 27 @ 5:30 pm
February 3 @ 2:30 pm
March 4 @ 5:30 pm
April 13 @ 1:30 pm
May 13 @ 5:30 pm
May 26 @ 2:30 pm
June 3 @ 5:30 pm
Make the most out of tutoring
- Go to class--even if you are attending "virtually"!
- Make a reasonable effort to complete homework.
- Have access to class materials including: textbook, assignments, notes.
- Make lists of questions, issues, or concerns.
- Be ready to actively participate with your tutor.
- Take a few minutes prior to the appointment to test your equipment and check your ability to participate in the appointment.
- Open tabs in your computer browser with anything you might want to show your tutor. You can share your screen with us during the appointment.
- Find a place with minimal distractions to have your appointment.
Monday-Thursday 8:00 am to 8:00 pm
Friday 8:00 am to 1:00 pm
Scheduled and Unscheduled Closures
Contact Tutoring and Learning Center Staff
Elizabeth Bell, Tutoring and Learning Center Supervisor
Phone: (815) 280-2855
Debbie Kroeger, Tutoring Clerk
Phone: (815) 280-CUBE
Hours vary by location. Please review the information below to select a Tutoring and Learning Center location that best meets your needs. Keep in mind that some tutoring services are limited to a particular location.
Main Campus, C-2010
Romeoville Campus, RMA-1080
City Center Campus, JCTR-6002
Online Tutoring – Smarthinking
iCampus offers free online tutoring to JJC students enrolled in credit-bearing courses. ALL JJC credit courses have a link on their course's menu within Canvas to Smarthinking. The subjects supported are:
- Computers and Technology
- Mathematics and Statistics
Drop-in Session - Connect with an expert tutor for a live session on demand.
Schedule a Future Session - Schedule a live session with a tutor in the future. Please note that these appointments must be booked at least 48 hours in advance.
Ask a Question - If you don't have time for a live session, send a tutor an academic question. Turnaround time for a response is typically within 24 hours.
Writing Center - Have your writing reviewed by an expert tutor. You can submit a paragraph, essay, or just a question 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Turnaround time for a response is typically within 24 hours.
Smarthinking Support & Additional Resources
If you need help, please contact Smarthinking at http://smarthinking.echelp.org/.
For additional Smarthinking Resources, watch the helpful videos on the Smarthinking website at http://smarthinking.com/student-resources.