We've gone fully online! Our regular tutors are ready to meet with you online and we've provided more resources to support you in the online learning environment.
Virtual Tutoring Appointments
We have online one-on-one appointments with our regular tutors. Tutors will log on with you for a 45-minute appointment. You will be able to see your tutor and they will be able to see you. You can also work on a shared whiteboard. You can make an appointment in several different ways:
- Fill out the Appointment Request Form.
- Send us an Email:
- Email Tutoring@jjc.edu
- Include your full name (so we can find you in our system), the class you want to be tutored in and your preferred date and time.
- Monitor your email for information about your appointment.
- Call us and leave a message. We'll return your call within 1 business day.
See what online tutoring looks like in this video.
Virtual Drop-In Services
Virtual Placement Test Preparation
Looking for a chance to improve your placement scores? JJC's Preparation for Progress placement test program provides FREE tutoring, testing tips and tricks, and student resources to help students remediate and work towards improving their placement scores.
The Prep for Progress program works the the Tutoring and Learning Center to provide the following services to all JJC students:
- One on one virtual tutoring appointments with a TLC tutor in English, reading, or math prep
- Online resources and student videos to help students navigate online learning and testing environments
- Remote access to ALEKS prep and learning modules and Accuplacer resources
- Student help and support for continued academic success!
The TLC also provides online and virtual test preparation assistance for English and math placement testing within Accuplacer and ALEKS. TLC tutor's are available to meet with students virtually to prepare to take JJC's placement tests.
Virtual TEAS Test Prep Workshops
September 3, 2020 @ 5:00 pm
September 30, 2020 @10:00am
October 14, 2020 @ 10:00 am
October 29, 2020 @ 5:00 pm
November 12, 2020 @ 5:00 pm
November 24, 2020 @ 10:00 am
December 16, 2020 @ 10:00 am
September 11, 2020 @ 9:00 am
September 23, 2020 @ 12:00 pm
October 15, 2020 @ 5:00 pm
October 28, 2020 @ 12:00 pm
November 5, 2020 @ 12:00 pm
November 19, 2020 @ 5:00 pm
September 3, 2020 @ 6:30 pm
September 30, 2020 @11:30 am
October 14, 2020 @ 11:30 am
October 29, 2020 @ 6:30 pm
November 12, 2020 @ 6:30 pm
November 24, 2020 @ 11:30 am
December 16, 2020 @ 11:30 am
September 11, 2020 @ 10:30 am
September 23, 2020 @ 1:30 pm
October 15, 2020 @ 6:30 pm
October 28, 2020 @ 1:30 pm
November 5, 2020 @ 1:30 pm
November 19, 2020 @ 6:30 pm
Free Virtual Workshops
We've partnered with Innovative Educators to provide some great workshops. You can choose which topics you want to explore and then work through the video instruction at your own pace. Most are less than 20 minutes long.
- 10 Habits of Mind for College Success
- 10 Tips for Success In Your Online Course
- Academic Integrity: The Do's and Don'ts
- Developing Critical Thinking Skills
- Effectively Communicating Online
- Exam Preparation Tips & Test-Taking Strategies
- How to Achieve Well-Being, Balance & Success
- How to Reduce Test Anxiety
- Learning Strategies Every Student Should Know
- Online Courses: Staying Motivated & Disciplined
- Taking Tests Online: Strategies for Success
- Time Management: Strategies for Success
To access these courses go to JJC's Student Lingo Site.
You will need to create an account or log in to your account
Getting the most out of tutoring
- Go to class--even if you are attending "virtually"!
- Make a reasonable effort to complete homework.
- Have access to class materials including: textbook, assignments, notes.
- Make lists of questions, issues, or concerns.
- Be ready to actively participate with your tutor.
- Take a few minutes prior to the appointment to test your equipment and check your ability to participate in the appointment.
- Open tabs in your computer browser with anything you might want to show your tutor. You can share your screen with us during the appointment.
- Find a place with minimal distractions to have your appointment.
Information for Faculty and Staff
As you prepare to complete the semester in an online learning environment, the Tutoring and Learning Center is committed to supporting your students. Even though we aren't able to tutor exactly like we have in the past, we want to do our very best to provide the academic support students need. In the spirit of learning new things and adapting to change, we have several opportunities for students to take advantage of and we'd like to remind you of the resources that are available to them.
Online Learning Resources: We have partnered with Innovative Educators to provide access to selected workshops for our JJC students.
To access online resources, visit: studentlingo.com/jjc and follow the next steps:
- Create an account.
- Fill out the information about who you are and where you study.
- Start accessing and viewing online orientation and student success workshops.
As students complete the online modules, they will be offered the opportunity to take an evaluation and earn a "certificate." While we wouldn't necessarily advocate for adding additional "to-do" items to students' already overwhelming learning curve, this might be a great way to reward students who are working to improve their academic skills or are doing extra work to prepare for learning in an online environment.
One-on-one Online Tutoring Appointments: We will be offering online one-on-one appointments with our regular tutors. Tutors, working from home, will log on with students for a 45-minute appointment through a tutoring platform where they'll be able to see the tutor and work together on a shared whiteboard.
We have expanded our appointments to 45 minutes. This time frame allows for some of the natural delays and glitches that technology can add to a session. Additionally, it allows tutors adequate time to log off of one session and onto the next. To make an appointment students should:
- Email TLC reception at email@example.com
- Include their full name (so we can find them in our system), the class for which they want to receive tutoring, and their preferred meeting time and date.
- Monitor their email for confirmation and specific directions for the appointment.
Virtual Drop-In Services in Microsoft Teams: If students have a quick question, they can drop in and chat with a tutor.
Math tutors are available Monday through Thursday 8 am to 8 pm.
Writing tutors are available Monday through Thursday 9 am to 3 pm.
Smarthinking: On the left-hand menu bar of any course in iCampus, you will see a link for Smarthinking Free Tutoring. This service is free to students and is available 24/7. You can access resources, ask questions, or submit a paper for review.
Placement Test Prep: If students are prepping for the Accuplacer or ALEKS placement tests, they can still access online study resources for both tests. Go HERE for more information.
Monday-Thursday 8:00 am to 8:00 pm
Friday 8:00 am to 1:00 pm
Scheduled and Unscheduled Closures
Tutoring and Learning Center Staff
Elizabeth Bell, Tutoring and Learning Center Supervisor
Phone: (815) 280-2855
Debbie Kroeger, Tutoring Clerk
Phone: (815) 280-CUBE
Hours vary by location. Please review the information below to select a Tutoring and Learning Center location that best meets your needs. Keep in mind that some tutoring services are limited to a particular location.
Main Campus, C-2010
Romeoville Campus, RMA-1080
City Center Campus, JCTR-6002
Online Tutoring – Smarthinking
iCampus offers free online tutoring to JJC students enrolled in credit-bearing courses. ALL JJC credit courses have a link on their course's menu within Canvas to Smarthinking. The subjects supported are:
- Computers and Technology
- Mathematics and Statistics
Drop-in Session - Connect with an expert tutor for a live session on demand.
Schedule a Future Session - Schedule a live session with a tutor in the future. Please note that these appointments must be booked at least 48 hours in advance.
Ask a Question - If you don't have time for a live session, send a tutor an academic question. Turnaround time for a response is typically within 24 hours.
Writing Center - Have your writing reviewed by an expert tutor. You can submit a paragraph, essay, or just a question 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Turnaround time for a response is typically within 24 hours.
Smarthinking Support & Additional Resources
If you need help, please contact Smarthinking at http://smarthinking.echelp.org/.
For additional Smarthinking Resources, watch the helpful videos on the Smarthinking website at http://smarthinking.com/student-resources.