Higher Learning Commission (HLC) Accreditation, Illinois Community College Board (ICCB) Recognition and Specialized Program Accreditation
There are two basic types of educational accreditation, one is “institutional” and the other is “specialized” or “programmatic.”
- Institutional Accreditation normally applies to an entire institution. JJC is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, a nationally recognized accreditor.
- Specialized/Programmatic Accreditation normally applies to the evaluation of a program or a departments within the institution. A number of JJC's career and technical programs are accredited by national professional associations and organizations. This ensures the education students receive meets employer standards.
Joliet Junior College is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC). The Illinois Community College System is coordinated by the Illinois Community College Board (ICCB) comprised of citizens appointed by the Governor.
Higher Learning Commission (HLC) Institutional Accreditation
The Higher Learning Commission accredits degree-granting post-secondary educational institutions in the north central region. The Academic Quality Improvement Program (AQIP) is one of several pathways leading to accreditation with HLC. AQIP differs from other pathways in that it is premised on principles of continuous quality improvement and affirming the institution's accredited status.
- Advising and Orientation 2005-2007
- College Communication 2005-2007
- Coordinate Academic Committees 2011-2013
- Data Stewardship 2013-2016
- Developmental Education-At-Risk Student Success 2008-2010
- Developmental Education 2002-2004
- Faculty RPC-Student Focus Groups 2015-2017 R-R
- General Education Assessment 2008-2011
- General Education Assessment 2011-2013
- Governance 2011-2013
- Positive Institutional Culture
- Professional Development-Non-Faculty 2005-2007
- Professional Learning Center 2010-2013
- Succession Planning 2010-2013
- Sustainable Environment 2008-2010
- Technology for Teaching and Learning 2002-2004
Illinois Community College Board (ICCB) State Recognition
Recognition is a statutory term describing the status of a district which meets instructional, administrative, financial, facility, and equipment standards as established by the Illinois Community College Board (ICCB) (Section 805/2-12f and 805/2-15). Community colleges must be recognized to be eligible for state funding. Based on a five-year cycle, ICCB staff conducts recognition evaluations to assure that colleges are in compliance with these standards. All colleges are evaluated on a select number of standards during the same five-year cycle.
JJC’s current recognition status is “Recognition Continued.” This means the college generally meets ICCB standards.
Specialized Program Accreditation
Specialized accreditation, also called program accreditation, indicates a program of study maintains standards requisite for its graduates to achieve credentials in the field.
Practical Nursing Program
The Joliet Junior College Practical Nursing program is approved through the Illinois Department of Professional & Financial Regulation.
Registered Nursing Program
The Joliet Junior College Registered Nursing Program is approved through the Illinois Department of Professional & Financial Regulation and accredited by the Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN).
Illinois Department of Professional & Financial Regulation Homepage
The Joliet Junior College Automotive Program is accredited through the National Automotive Technicians Education Foundation.
Veterinary Medical Technology Program
Health Information Management (HIM) program
The Joliet Junior College Health Information Management (HIM) Program is accredited through the American Health Information Management Association.
Accounting, Human Resource Management, Retail Management, Management and Supervision, Marketing Management, Real Estate, and Real Estate Appraisal Programs
The Joliet Junior College Accounting, Human Resource Management, Retail Management, Management and Supervision, Marketing Management, Real Estate, and Real Estate Appraisal programs are accredited through the Association of Collegiate Business Schools & Programs.
Interior Design Program
Orthotics and Prosthetics Technology
The Joliet Junior College Orthotics and Prosthetics Technology Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs upon the recommendation of the National Commission on Orthotic and Prosthetic Education (NCOPE).
Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program
The Joliet Junior College Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP).
Hort Landscaping Contracting Program
The Joliet Junior College Hort Landscaping Contracting Program is accredited by the National Association of Landscape Professionals Accreditation Board (NALP).