The Tutoring and Learning Center provides in-person and online course tutoring, drop-in math assistance, presentation tutoring, and more for Joliet Junior College students. Watch a short video featuring TLC services.
The TLC provides in-person and online tutoring with peer or professional tutors for nearly every credit-bearing course at JJC. Call or stop by to schedule your appointment.
Drop-in Math Assistance
The Main Campus TLC provide free drop-in math tutoring for all levels of math coursework, including placement testing preparation. With no appointment necessary, a student can work with peer and professional math tutors. Students may also receive assistance with the following math software: My Math Lab, My Stats Lab, and Geometer's Sketchpad.
If you are preparing a presentation for a speech course or any other course on campus, a professional speech tutor is available to assist you at the Main Campus TLC with the following:
- Developing presentations
- Drafting outlines
- Conducting research
- Practicing presentation
- Learning PowerPoint
- Recording presentations
Reading and Writing Tutoring
TLC peer and professional English tutors can help students with English and all other courses at JJC with regard to the following:
- Reading comprehension
- Reading Strategies
- Brainstorming ideas
- Developing a thesis
- Organizing ideas for essays and research
- Revising a draft
- Supporting arguments
- MLA/APA and other formatting
- Integrating quotes
- Using correct documentation
- Creating effective introductions and conclusions
- Identifying strengths and weaknesses in writing
- Reviewing grammar
- TLC peer and professional English tutors can also provide assistance with writing scholarship essays and college application essays.
The Main Campus TLC provides JJC students with access to study aids including accounting books with solution guides, and natural science biology models and flashcards. TLC's biology models.
The TLC provides in-person and online test preparation assistance for placement testing (Accuplacer, ALEKS), high school equivalency testing (GED, HISET, TASC), and the TEAS.
TLC peer and professional tutors administer a variety of academic workshops. TLC workshop schedule.
What Students are Saying
Mary Baskerville, Professional English Tutor
"Ms. Baskerville went above and beyond to explain the material for my English essay...Thank you Ms. Baskerville for your assistance. I greatly appreciate what you did for me. You're a great tutor." – English student
Chrystal Burich, Professional English Tutor
"She was great! She did a great job creating a great learning environment and made a great impact on my confidence for this paper. Would recommend her as a tutor." – English student
Rob Clodfelter, Accounting Technical Tutorial Assistant
"Rob is awesome and really cares about what he is doing!" – Accounting student
"The material I was given helped me out so much. Glad I came for tutoring!" – Math student
Denise Curry, Professional English/ TEAS Tutor
"Denise is an amazing English tutor. She does not write your essay for you, which I appreciate. She tries to explain the writing assignment and then helps brainstorm. She is an amazing guide. I would recommend her to anyone!" – English student
Christine Fiorite, Professional English Tutor
"Christine is great and she teaches me in a in a way that everything seems so easy." – English student
Clinton Garwood, Professional Computer Science Tutor
"OMG... Clint was such a big help in tutoring me for my class. Still really nervous but feel a little better now." – CIOS Student
Scheduled and Unscheduled Closures
Hours vary by location. Please review the information below to select a Tutoring and Learning Center location that best meets your needs. Keep in mind that some tutoring services are limited to a particular location.
Main Campus, C-2010
Romeoville Campus, RMA-1039
City Center Campus, JCTR-6002
Online Tutoring – Smarthinking
iCampus offers free online tutoring to JJC students enrolled in credit-bearing courses. ALL JJC credit courses have a link on their course's menu within Canvas to Smarthinking. The subjects supported are:
- Computers and Technology
- Mathematics and Statistics
Drop-in Session - Connect with an expert tutor for a live session on demand.
Schedule a Future Session - Schedule a live session with a tutor in the future. Please note that these appointments must be booked at least 48 hours in advance.
Ask a Question - If you don't have time for a live session, send a tutor an academic question. Turnaround time for a response is typically within 24 hours.
Writing Center - Have your writing reviewed by an expert tutor. You can submit a paragraph, essay, or just a question 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Turnaround time for a response is typically within 24 hours.
Smarthinking Support & Additional Resources
If you need help, please contact Smarthinking at http://smarthinking.echelp.org/.
For additional Smarthinking Resources, watch the helpful videos on the Smarthinking website at http://smarthinking.com/student-resources.
To provide high quality and consistent service, the TLC requests all patrons abide by these tutoring guidelines.
- Tutoring is not a substitute for attending class. If a student does not attend class, he/she cannot participate in tutoring.
- TLC tutors will not assist with practice tests or take-home exams.
- Students may only be tutored for classes in which they are currently enrolled.
- Students may only receive one hour of tutoring per week per subject unless otherwise approved by the Academic Skills Center Coordinator.
- Students may only book appointments 10 business days in advance.
- Food and beverages are not allowed in the Tutoring Rooms. These items must be disposed before entering the Tutoring and Learning Center.
- If a student is more than 10 minutes late, his/her appointment is automatically cancelled. If a student misses two appointments, Tutoring and Learning Center staff has the right to deny the student future tutoring appointments. The student will then be permitted to use these services on a drop-in basis only.
- Student must provide at least two hours' notice prior to cancelling a session. Students who chronically cancel session may lose schedule privileges for the semester.
- Children are not allowed in the Tutoring Rooms.
- Tutees must prepare for the tutoring sessions by (1) reviewing course materials; (2) making a reasonable effort to complete reading and/or homework; and (3) compiling a list of questions, comments, and concerns.
- Tutees must actively participate in the tutoring sessions by (1) determining mutually agreed upon goals and objectives with the tutor for each session; (2) at the end of each session, determining if needs/ expectations were met; and (3) communicating to tutor if any needs are not adequately addressed.
- All tutees must adhere to Student Code of Conduct.
Tutoring and Learning Center Staff
Apply for a Tutoring Position
Each semester, the Tutoring and Learning Center hires 15-20 peer tutors to lead one-on-one and group tutoring sessions, as well as to assist and/or lead workshops. If you are interested in becoming a Tutoring and Learning Center Tutor and meet the following criteria, we encourage you to go to the Career Services webpage and apply.
Tutoring and Learning Center Peer Tutor Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0
- Completion of at least one semester of college coursework
- Enrollment in at least six credit hours during the semester you plan to tutor
- An A or B earned in subject area to be tutored
- Ability to communicate effectively with students/faculty
- Ability to work with minimum supervision and maintain confidentiality
- Patience, problem-solving abilities, with a proven history of reliability
- Previous work history
Tutoring and Learning Center Professional Tutor Qualifications
- Vary depending on subject area and level of experience and education
Last updated on September 2, 2016.
CRLA ITTPC Certified Tutors
All Tutoring and Learning Center tutors are required to participate in College Reading and Learning Association International Tutor Training Program Certification activities. These activities promote the tutoring philosophy of the independent learner, allow tutors an opportunity to meet with colleagues and discuss tutoring-related issues, and expose peer and professional tutors to other college resources. Special thanks to Career Services, Human Resources, the Library, Project Achieve, and Disability Services for leading some of these training sessions. Below are the certified TLC tutors who earned this accolade; there are three certification levels.
Tutor Name Role Level 1 Certification Level 2 Certification Level 3 Certification Mary Baskerville Professional English Tutor Earned January 15, 2014 Earned August 24, 2016 Earned April 5, 2017 Chrystal Burich Professional English Tutor Earned May 23, 2017 Robert Clodfelter Accounting Technical Tutorial Assistant Earned March 8, 2013 Earned August 23, 2016 Denise Curry Professional English Tutor Earned January 15, 2014 Earned September 1, 2016 Christine Fiorite Professional English Tutor Earned June 17, 2017 Clinton Garwood Professional CIOS Tutor Earned August 22, 2017 Earned April 18, 2018 Cecilia Jackson Professional English Tutor Earned September 5, 2014 Earned March 10, 2017 Sabrina Jones Professional English Tutor Earned April 28, 2016 Earned August 31, 2016 Andrzej Kubis Professional Math Tutor Earned April 27, 2016 Larry Lahm Professional Math Tutor Earned June 9, 2016 Earned March 1, 2017 Gretchen Nurczyk Professional Math Tutor Earned March 1, 2016 Earned August 23, 2016 Dr. Ann Padden Professional Math Tutor Earned April 9, 2013 Deborah Pletcher Professional Math Tutor Earned May 2, 2016 Earned June 1, 2017 Trisha Russo Professional Math Tutor Earned May 4, 2016 Janis Shumac Professional English Tutor Earned June 15, 2016 Earned September 28, 2016 Earned May 22, 2017 Melanie Sprengel Professional Biology Tutor Earned September 5, 2017 Kimberly Steger-Nikolic Professional Speech Tutor Earned February 9, 2016 Earned August 22, 2016 Jean Tyrell Professional English Tutor Earned January 15, 2014 Earned September 1, 2016 Kathleen Weishaar Professional Math Tutor Earned April 26, 2016 Earned February 15, 2017 Former Tutors Lujain Abufarha Professional Speech Tutor Earned April 26, 2016 Earned April 25, 2017 Maha Abufarha CADD Technical Tutorial Assistant Earned March 12, 2013 Victoria Barclay Peer Tutor Earned October 14, 2016 Vinchenzo Basile Peer Tutor Earned April 26, 2016 Ashley Beushausen Peer Tutor Earned August 13, 2013 Kathleen Bilski Vet Tech Technical Tutorial Assistant Earned April 22, 2013 Chris Bookhout Peer Tutor Earned August 8, 2013 Carmen Chinchilla Peer Tutor Earned May 2, 2013
Professional English Tutor Earned September 5, 2014 Rob Cummins Professional English Tutor Earned September 5, 2014 Dominique Dusek Professional English Tutor Earned January 25, 2016 Steve Delmagori Professional English Tutor Earned July 31, 2014 Kristy Eads Tutorial Assistant Earned April 29, 2013 Nancy Gaffney Professional CIOS/ OFS Tutor Earned March 11, 2013 Earned November 14, 2016 Earned May 7, 2018 Beth Gierach Tutorial Assistant Earned April 30, 2013 Carol Jackson Professional Math Tutor Earned January 26, 2016 Natalie Jackson Professional Math Tutor Earned April 12, 2016 Earned June 5, 2017 Joe Kelly Peer Tutor Earned September 30, 2013 Dr. Sam Kongpricha Professional Math Tutor Earned March 6, 2013 Tom Kulasik Technical Tutorial Assistant Earned March 12, 2013 Rachel Martiniak Peer Tutor Earned May 1, 2013 Heather Nadess Professional English Tutor Earned December 2, 2013 Tammy Ohm Tutorial Assistant Earned June 18, 2013 Michael Schneider Professional CIOS/ OFS Tutor Earned May 31, 2016 Hannah Werden Peer Tutor Earned May 11, 2017 Lucia Zuniga Peer Tutor Earned January 29, 2016
Last updated on May 31, 2018.