Welcome to Joliet Junior College's Culinary Arts Web site. This site is geared toward prospective and current students, whether they are deciding which school they will attend or seek information on programs and events.
Prospective students should know that JJC's Culinary Arts Department offers the Chef for a Day program, where high school students and interested individuals can attend the program for a day to experience what it is like to be a culinary arts student. This experience will allow the participant to see first hand what training for successful employment in the food service industry entails.
View the video "America's Restaurants: Industry of Opportunity", which showcases what restaurants do for our country.
Here are some of the Culinary Arts accomplishments!
- August 2015: Student Diamond Taylor earns the points for a gold medal and second place in the US after competing in the ACF 2015 National Student Culinarian competition!
- May 2015: Pastry Chef instructor Andy Chlebana competes on a 6 week series on The Food Network called Spring Baking Championship!
- March 2015: Student Diamond Taylor wins the ACF Central US Regional Student Chef of the Year competition! Diamond will now compete in July in the "final four" against the three other regional Student Chef of the Year champions for the national title.
- July 2014: Culinary Student Kristyn Chatlosh strikes again winning the silver medal at the ACF National Convention and a place as Team Captain on the prestigious Team USA Junior Culinary Olympic Team! She will now represent the US as she competes against many other countries on the world competition stage, training intensely under her mentor Chef Tim Bucci.
- July 2014: Chef Fred Ferrara was honored as the American Culinary Federation's Central US Culinary Educator of the Year
- April 2014: Culinary student Kristyn Chatlosh wins a gold medal in the cold food competition at the Central US ACF conference.
- February 2014: JJC Student Culinary Hot Foods Team wins 1st place GOLD in the ACF State of Illinois competition making them the 2014 State of Illinois GOLD MEDAL CHAMPIONS!
- January 2014: Chef Paul Bringas is granted tenure by the JJC Board of Trustees. We are excited to have him as part of our culinary team!
- January 2014: JJC Chef Michael McGreal appointed as a childhood nutrition training consultant for the USDA's National Food Service Management Institute.
- November 2013: JJC Chef Andy Chlebana competes with Team USA in the Dubai Hospitality Championship taking home second place overall and a gold medal!
- October 2013: JJC Chef Michael McGreal appointed as a childhood nutrition training consultant for the USDA's National Food Service Management Institute.
- July 2013: JJC Culinary Team WINS BIG taking home FIRST PLACE and title of ACF'S TOP CULINARY SCHOOL TEAM IN AMERICA!
- July 2013: JJC Culinary Arts student Jackie Adamonis wins top honors as the 2013/2014 ACF's TOP STUDENT CHEF IN AMERICA!
- May 2013: JJC Student Culinary Hot Foods Team wins 1st place GOLD and the title of TOP Culinary School Team in the ACF Central US Regional Team Championship in Little Rock, AR, beating out the best teams from 9 other states. They will now compete in the "final four" against the three other regional champions for the national title which will be held in July in Las Vegas, NV.
- May 2013: JJC Culinary Student Jackie Adamonis wins the ACF Central US Regional Student Chef of the Year competition! Jackie will now compete in the "final four" against the three other regional Student Chef of the Year champions for the national title which will be held in July in Las Vegas, NV.
- April 2013: JJC Pastry Chef Instructor Andy Chlebana named by Dessert Professional Magazine as one of the 2013 Top 10 Pastry Chefs in America!
- March 2013: JJC Student Culinary Hot Foods Team wins 1st place GOLD in ACF State of Illinois championship making them the State of Illinois CHAMPIONS!
- January 2013: JJC Pastry Chef Instructor Andy Chlebana competes in Lyon, France in the Coupe Du Monde world pastry competition against 22 other countries earning 4th place in the world!
- January 2013: JJC Culinary Competition Team wins GOLD MEDAL and FIRST PLACE in the state of Ohio competition!
- October 2012: JJC Chef Instructor Tim Bucci and Team USA compete against 38 other countries to win 2 SILVER MEDALS in Erfurt Germany at the World Culinary Olympics!
- April 2012: JJC Culinary Competition Team wins SILVER MEDAL in the Central US Regional Hot Foods Team Championships!
- March 2012: JJC Culinary Competition Team WINS GOLD MEDAL and 1st place in state of Illinois!
- July 2011: JJC Culinary Competition Team WINS BIG taking home the FIRST PLACE GOLD MEDAL and title of ACF TOP CULINARY SCHOOL TEAM IN AMERICA!
- July 2011: Student Aaron Guajardo III won top honors as 1st place Gold Medal recipient and the title of ACF Top Culinary Student in America!
- Chef Andy Chlebana competed in Indianapolis pastry and showpiece competition and took home FIRST PLACE GOLD!
- Chef Andy Chlebana competed in the National Showpiece Championship in Atlanta and took home top honors and FIRST PLACE in the nation!
- Chef Kyle Richardson was elected to serve as the American Culinary Federation's Vice President for the Central United States
- Chef Michael McGreal awarded the Presidential Medallion at the 2011 National American Culinary Federation Convention
- The Gold Medal and the 2011 ACF Student Culinarian for the Central United States
- The Gold Medal and the 2011 ACF Junior Hot Foods Culinary Competition Team Competition for the Central United States
- The Gold Medal for the 2011 Culinary Knowledge Bowl in the Central United States Competition
- Pastry Instructor Chef Andy Chlebana wins $10,000 on the Food Network Sugar Challenge
- Chef Michael McGreal is serving as the ACF Central US Chairperson for the First Lady's Chefs Move to Schools Initiative