**New Student Loan Process Beginning 2013 Fall Semester**
To better serve you, JJC will require students to make a "Borrow Smart" loan appointment with a Financial Aid Adviser to process a Federal Direct Student Loan.
We will start scheduling loan appointments on May 6, 2013 by phone, (815) 280-6781 or in person at the Financial Aid/Veterans Office (Main Campus or Romeoville Campus).
Please make sure you have completed the following steps before you make a loan appointment:
- Complete the 2013-2014 FAFSA.
- Submit all required documents in order to complete your financial aid file.
- Have received your JJC award notification.
- Be enrolled in 6 financial aid eligible credit hours or more.
- Must complete the Entrance Loan Interview (all students) visit www.StudentLoans.Gov.
- Complete the MPN (if not completed in the last 12 months) visit www.StudentLoans.Gov.
- **Print and complete the JJC BORROW SMART LOAN PACKET. (It is also available on the Financial Aid Forms page under 2013-2014 forms.)
- Make a Loan Appointment with the Financial Aid/Veterans Office by calling (815) 280-6781 or in person at the Financial Aid/Veterans Office (Main Campus and Romeoville Campus).
**Completed loan packets can only be submitted during the "Borrow Smart" loan appointment. Loan packets submitted to the Financial Aid/Veterans Office outside of a scheduled appointment will not be accepted or processed.
SUMMER 2013 LOAN IMPORTANT INFORMATION
Due to modifications that are taking place in the Department of Education COD system, Summer 2013 student loans will not be available to purchase books until July 1, 2013. If you have any questions, please contact the Financial Aid/Veterans Office, (815) 280-2528.
Suspension of 2013-14 MAP Award Announcements Effective March 2, 2013
The Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC) is suspending the announcement of 2013-14 Monetary Award Program (MAP) grants for all students whose initial 2013-14 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is received by the Central Processing System (CPS) on or after Saturday, March 2, 2013.
The March 2 suspension date, which is the earliest in MAP history, is the result of continuing state budget difficulties and an unprecedented number of early applicants. A 5 percent reduction factor, which was approved for 2013-14 MAP start-up formula at the January 24 Commission meeting, allowed for the processing of more applications than would have been possible had awards not been reduced.
NOTE: Students should still complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in order to be considered for Federal Pell Grants and student loan eligibility.
Important Information Regarding Communication for 2013-2014 Year from the Financial Aid/Veterans Office
All correspondence will be conducted utilizing eResources and JJC student email account. It is important that you check eResources and your JJC student email account frequently so you do not miss any pertinent information.
Information that will be sent electronically includes: Missing Information Notifications, Award Notifications, and Standard of Academic Progress Notifications.
- If you do not have a JJC student email account, please complete an online Admission application.
- If you have been assigned an email account, but do not know your username and password, check your JJC email.
Additionally, you may check your current missing information status on eResources
, and then choose on "My Documents".
FALL 2013 SEMESTER
Requested information for Fall 2013 must be submitted to the JJC Financial Aid/Veterans Office by June 13, 2013 to ensure processing before the payment due date. Students who are unable to meet the June 13, 2013 deadline are encouraged to complete their financial aid file, but are responsible for payment of their classes by the payment due date.
Summer 2013 Semester
Requested information for Summer 2013 must be submitted to the JJC Financial Aid/Veterans Office by April 12, 2013 to ensure processing before the payment due date. Students who are unable to meet the April 12, 2013 deadline are encouraged to complete their financial aid file, but are responsible for payment of their classes by the payment due date.
Haven't completed the FAFSA yet?
Review the financial aid checklist.
Already submitted the FAFSA?
Once the results of your FAFSA have been received by our office, you will be able to log in to eResources to access information regarding your financial aid file.
Verification policy and procedures
Any student may be selected for verification by the federal government or the Financial Aid Office. At Joliet Junior College all students selected for verification are required to submit documentation in order for this process to be completed. The verification process allows JJC Financial Aid/Veterans Office to review the information reported on the FAFSA, checking for accuracy against documents provided by you.
If you have not received the results of your FAFSA application, check the FAFSA Web site or call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at (800) 433-3243.
Financial Aid consists of federal and state grants
These grants are need-based and awarded based on student eligibility. Federal student loans are a type of financial aid and are available to all students who have completed a FAFSA. Students may also be awarded College Work Study for on- and off-campus employment opportunities.
- Pell Grant, MAP Grant
If you have received an award letter listing Pell or MAP grant, your classes will be not be dropped for non-payment at this time. After your funds are applied to your account, you would be responsible for any remaining balance (if applicable).
- Student Loans
Applied to Student's Spring Account: Approx. the last week in September 2013.
If you have returned a signed award letter accepting student loan funds listed, and completed a promissory note, either in a prior JJC semester, or on-line, a hold will be placed on you tuition balance until student loans are disbursed after 30 days into the semester.
- Veterans Education Benefits
Veterans Education Benefits include Illinois Veterans Grant, National Guard Grant, and MIA/POW Scholarships. Please contact the JJC Veterans Office to request your benefits be applied, if you have not yet done so for Spring 2013. You are responsible for payment of fees that are not covered by your benefits.
Federal Work Study (FWS)
- See the student employment page for more information on employment options and procedures.
- Based on EFC and enrolled in 6 credit hours.
- Priority date is May 1, 2013. Students who have complete files and financial need by this date are first considerations.
- Paid every two weeks in conjunction with the regular college payroll.
Student Self Service
The Student Self Service site will enable students who have been authenticated through JJC eResources to have direct access to perform a range of activities, including:
- View electronic deferments or notification forms sent to student lenders.
- Print proof of enrollment verification certificates.
- View real time loan information.
- View enrollment information held by the Clearinghouse provided by JJC.