Admissions Office
Campus Center: A-1020
Phone: (815) 280-2493
Fax: (815) 280-6740

Office Hours:
Monday - Thursday: 7:30am - 7:30pm
Friday: 7:30am - 4:30pm
(Closed on Fridays during the summer)

Special Office Hours:

  • The Saturday before first day of Fall/Spring semester 9:00am – 2:00pm*
  • Spring Break week (Monday-Friday) 7:30am - 4:30pm

*Time subject to change


Find Us On Facebook

Supporting Our Veterans - Click for more information 

Pace Ride Share 


Chargeback FAQ

Rosa Salazar at the Admissions Office

What is a chargeback/cooperative agreement?

The Illinois Public Community College Act of 1965 provides that if a student wishes to take a "curriculum of studies" not offered in the home community college district, but is offered in another Illinois community college district, the home community college district may pay the non-resident portion of the tuition while he/she is enrolled in such a program.

When do I need to apply?

You must apply with JJC prior to the following deadline dates:

Fall - July 25th

Spring - December 15th

Summer - April 20th

What is a curriculum?

A curriculum is interpreted as an organized pattern of instruction within a discipline leading to a certificate or associate degree which is publicized in the official catalog of an Illinois public community college and approved by the Illinois Community College Board and the Illinois State Board of Education.

Both full- and part-time attendance is allowable. Individual courses, as in adult continuing education programs, are not considered "programs" for approval purposes, nor are programs that are generally considered to be baccalaureate oriented since the majority of the courses normally taken during the first two years of such programs are readily available at Joliet Junior College.

How do I know if the program is offered by JJC?

An outgoing  charge back is not authorized if the desired curriculum is offered by JJC. The determination of whether or not the desired program is offered is made by comparing the relevant JJC program with the desired curriculum and its component courses in the official catalog of the college the applicant wishes to attend. If JJC has a comparable curriculum or if JJC has a cooperative agreement with another community college that has a comparable curriculum as determined by the JJC Vice President for Academic Affairs, no chargeback will be authorized.

What about residency?

To qualify for a chargeback, the student must be a permanent resident of JJC District 525. The residence of unemancipated persons is that of their parents. If the applicant is of foreign citizenship, proof of permanent residence (green card or its new equivalent) is required. Residents of District 525 are eligible for chargebacks after they have resided in the district for 30 days and verify their residency with an Illinois Driver's Lisence or state ID. Students who have JJC chargebacks but establish permanent residence out of the district will have their chargebacks terminated at the end of the term in which they moved.

NOTE: A student working a minimum of 35 hours in the community college district in which he/she would like to attend may, at the discretion of the college, be treated as an in-district student. A letter from the employer may be required as proof of employment. As this may vary from college district to college district, the student should contact the admissions office of that college to determine eligibility.

What about distance and inconvenience?

Distance and inconvenience are not considered as the basis for approving chargebacks. If a program is offered anywhere within District 525, it is judged to be available. The time of day, the day of the week, or the particular semester or term of offering the program or its component parts are not considered as factors affecting approval.

What about JJC enrollment limitations?

The fact that a JJC program may have limited enrollment, or is temporarily closed to enrollment, or is regularly over-subscribed, is not considered as a factor affecting approval.

What about JJC entrance requirements?

The fact that an applicant for a chargeback was refused admission to a JJC program because of failure to meet entrance requirements is not considered grounds for authorizing a charge back for a comparable program at another institution. Nor will JJC authorize a chargeback to someone attempting to meet the entrance requirements or prerequisites for a particular program at another college.

What about closed-enrollment programs at another college?

If you are seeking admission to a closed admission program at another community college, a chargeback authorization will not be approved for chargeback or cooperative agreement until you present an acceptance letter which indicates that you have been admitted to that program. Your chargeback will then be authorized for the next attendance session provided you have completed the chargeback application within the deadline date.  No payments will be made for coursework taken prior to your receipt of JJC charge back authorization.

What if JJC develops a comparable program after I have begun the program at another community college?

If JJC authorized a chargeback, and subsequently develops a comparable program, the student is not required to transfer back to JJC for the balance of the program.

How many chargebacks can a student have at the same time?

A student may not have more than one chargeback at the same time.

What about courses I repeat?

JJC will not pay for repeated courses or for courses dropped after the drop date.

What is the length of time covered by my chargeback?

All chargebacks/cooperative agreements expire with the end of the spring semester/quarter. The approval is valid only for the time period which is indicated on the application. Another form must be filed for coursework which is to be taken after the time period approved with the initial or earlier application. Also, a new form will have to be submitted in the event you plan to pursue another program.

Chargeback or cooperative agreement?

A chargeback application may be denied if JJC has a cooperative educational agreement with another community college offering the program you desire.

A cooperative agreement makes it possible for residents of District 525 to enroll in programs at the neighboring community college without the district having to pay for the out-of-district tuition charge.

When and how does JJC make final payment to the attending college?

Payment will be made to the receiving college for only those courses which are required in the degree or certificate program approved, for courses which are within the total credit hour limit of the program approved, for courses which have not been repeated or dropped, and for courses which earn college credit and are I00 level or higher.

Compliance guideline

The JJC Office of Academic Affairs will audit each billing of chargeback received, and courses taken which are not part of the approved program, courses that are repeated, or courses dropped after the drop date will not be honored for chargeback. That is, the entire out-of-district tuition for such courses must be borne by the student.