Veterans Resource Center

The Mission of the Veterans Resource Center (VRC) is to enhance the success of student Veterans and their dependents by providing assistance and guidance in achieving their educational objectives. Additionally the Veterans Resource Center serves to foster a welcoming campus culture for student veterans and ensure that the men and women who serve our county have access to a quality education in a supportive environment.

Veterans Forms

  • Submission of a Request for Benefits Form is required each semester you intend to utilize benefits.
  • To apply for GI Bill, check the status of your existing benefits, obtain a statement of benefits, or compare benefits, please log in to the webpage.

support our veterans yellow ribbon

Student Veteran Handbook (PDF)
Higher Education Veterans Service Act Survey Results (PDF)

Priority Registration

Joliet Junior College offers priority registration to military-connected students as described by Illinois State Statute listed below:

  • Called for Duty

    Called for Duty

    A currently enrolled student who is called to military service with the U. S. Armed Forces (as defined in 330 ILCS 60/30) or who is requested to work for the federal government during a national emergency or a limited national emergency must present to the Veteran Resource Center documentation supporting the call to service.

    Military Orders should be uploaded with this FORM prior to the student leaving for military service.

    If the student is unable to upload or provide the order prior to leaving, please contact the Veterans Resource Center as soon as possible at

  • Illinois State Statute

    Eligible active duty service members, veterans, and their dependents will be charged in-state tuition and fee amounts in accordance with all applicable state and federal regulations and guidance. Eligibility is defined by the regulating agency. 

    Joliet Junior Colleges follows 330 ILCS 60/5.2 for students needing accommodations for military service and/or training. Students in need of accommodations should provide a copy of their military leave orders to the Veterans Resource Center (C-1043) as early as possible.

    (110 ILCS 805/3-29.10) 
    Sec. 3-29.10. Priority enrollment; service member or veteran.
        (a) For the purposes of this Section:
        "Service member" means a resident of this State who is a member of any component of the U.S. Armed Forces, including any reserve component, or the National Guard of any state, the District of Columbia, a commonwealth, or a territory of the United States and who is eligible to receive military educational benefits.
        "Veteran" means a resident of this State who was a service member and who has received an honorable discharge, a general discharge, or an other than honorable discharge. 
        (b) A board shall give the earliest possible enrollment opportunity that a community college offers to a service member or veteran.
        (c) The priority enrollment provided pursuant to this Section shall apply to enrollment for all degree and certificate programs offered by a community college after the student's eligibility to receive benefits has been verified by the community college. 
    (Source: P.A. 98-316, eff. 1-1-14.)

    Public Act 101 - 0424

    Beginning with the 2019-2020 academic year, per the federal requirements for maintaining approval for veterans' education benefits under 38 U.S.C. 3679(c), if a person is on active military duty or is receiving veterans' education benefits, then the board shall deem that person an Illinois resident for tuition purposes for any academic quarter, semester, or term, as applicable.

Veterans Education Programs at JJC

The following programs are available to students eligible for VA Education Benefits and/or State of Illinois tuition assistance programs.

  • Federal/GI Bill®

    GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website.


    Post-9/11 GI Bill®: 

    The Post - 9/11 GI Bill is a Veterans Administration (Federal) program. Based upon your eligibility, it pays up to 100 % of tuition and fees to the school. It also includes a book stipend of up to $1,000 a year and a monthly housing allowance paid to the student.  Benefits paid are based on a student's enrollment. The school is required to certify the student's classes to the VA each semester, including any changes in enrollment.

    Only active duty service performed after September 10, 2001 will be considered for determining eligibility for this benefit. To be eligible, a service member or veteran must have served at least 90 aggregate days on active duty. Individuals honorably discharged for a service connected disability who served 30 continuous days after September 10, 2001 may also establish eligibility. The VA will make all determinations for eligibility. Please visit VA website for more information.

    Montgomery GI Bill:

    The Montgomery GI Bill is a Veterans Administration (Federal) program. It provides a monthly payment to the recipient, as a supplement to their income while attending college. It does not pay anything directly to the school, to cover tuition or books. Benefits are paid based upon a student's enrollment.  The school is required to certify the student's classes to the VA each semester, including any changes in enrollment.

    • Chapter 30 (Active Duty GI Bill): Veteran would have chosen to participate in GI Bill, and authorized payments deducted from his first twelve monthly checks while in the service.
    • Chapter 1606 (Reservist GI Bill): Student is a member in good standing in either the Illinois National Guard, or one of the military's reserve units.
    • Chapter 35 (Survivors and Dependents GI Bill): This program is for the spouse, children, or step-children of service members that are either deceased because of military service, or totally and permanently disabled due to military service, or are listed as MIA/POWs.


    Veteran Readiness & Employment (VR&E):

    This is a program established by the Veterans Administration to provide assistance to certain disabled veterans in achieving their academic and career goals. This program must be applied for at, and approved by, the VA Office in Chicago, Illinois. Once approved, an authorization form will be issued by that office, and needs to be sent to JJC's Veterans Resource Center for processing.

    Applying for Post 9/11 or Montgomery GI Bill:

    Apply to Joliet Junior College and follow the new student steps.

    If this is your first time applying for the GI Bill, you must fill out a 22-1990 form on the VA's website and provide your Certificate of Eligibility to the Veterans Resource Center. If you have previously used GI Bill at another school you must complete a "Request for Change of Program or Place of Training (PDF)", and return it to the JJC Veterans Resource Center. You must declare a major and take only courses required for that degree in order to be certified for GI Bill . The stated degree or certificate must be on the approved list of majors as given by the State Approving Agency in order to be certified for GI Bill.

    • Initial applications for GI Bill should be accompanied by a photocopy of the veteran or reservist's DD214, member 4. Reservists also need to obtain a NOBE (Notice of Basic Eligibility) from their unit and furnish it to our office along with the application form.
    • All students with prior college training must submit official transcripts from all other institutions to the JJC Office of the Registrar for evaluation.  Failure to transfer credits within one semester of attendance could result in suspension of GI Bill benefits until reported.

    Veterans and Reservists using GI Bill (with the exception of the Post-9/11 bill)  must verify their enrollment monthly to the VA, either by phone or internet. To access the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) system go to the Department of Veterans Affairs GI Bill Web site and follow the directions, or call (877) 823-2378 and follow the prompts.

    Please note that this monthly verification of enrollment needs to be done on the last day of each month of attendance, or slightly thereafter. Failure to do so will result in delay of payment to veteran/reservist. However, that this does not replace the school's certification of your classes. You still need to request that the Veterans Office certify your classes each semester. Your monthly verification to the VA is to confirm each month the information that the school has already sent for the semester.

    GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

  • State Tuition Programs

    • Illinois Veterans Grant (IVG): Must have been an Illinois resident at time of enlistment, established residency back in Illinois within six months of discharge, and served at least a year of active duty with an honorable discharge. This grant will pay for up to 120 credits of college tuition at any Illinois public college. There is no expiration date. Please apply online and provide a copy of your approval letter to the VRC. IVG provides payment of tuition, student service fees, capital assessment fees, and technology fees, but does not cover course fees at JJC.

    • Illinois National Guard Grant: (ING): Must be a current member of the Illinois National Guard in good standing, and have completed a year as such. This grant must be applied for each school year, and will pay tuition at any Illinois public college (school must be listed on application). Illinois National Guard members must apply each academic year for the Illinois National Guard Grant (ING). Applications (and deadlines for applying) are available on the ISAC website. ING covers tuition and student service fees, but does not cover capital assessment fees, technology fees, or course fees.

    • Illinois MIA/POW Scholarship: This program is for dependents (spouse or children) of Illinois veterans. The veteran must be listed on the Veterans Administration records as either MIA/POW, deceased due to military service, or disabled due to military service. It will also cover tuition at any Illinois public college. Survivors/Dependents who apply for and are determined eligible for the scholarship will receive a MIA/POW Identification letter from the state. A copy of this letter must be submitted  to the Veteran Resource Center. Applications are available in the Veterans Resource Center. For more information visit: ISAC website  MIA/POW covers tuition only.

  • Tuition Assistance

    This program is offered by certain branches of service for members still on active duty, or currently in the reserves. Please check with your branch of service for the application procedure. Completed authorization forms received back from unit need to be taken to JJC Student Accounts and Payments for processing.

    More information can be found at ArmyIgnitED,  militaryonesource or Department of Defense

  • College Credit for Military Training

    Joliet Junior College will award seven college credits (four credits of physical education, HPR 101, and a three credit health class, BIO 103) to any service member who served a minimum of one year active duty, and was discharged honorably. Complete the Request for Military Credit Form and return to the Veterans Resource Center at JJC with a photocopy of the DD214, member 4.

    Students with military training should submit their official Joint Service Transcript (JST) or Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) transcripts directly to the Registrar's Office. Transfer credit is awarded based on ACE (American Council on Education) recommendations and corresponding college curriculum. Course-Specific credit is awarded when possible. Upon receipt of the transcript, and completion of a Transcript Evaluation Form, transcripts will be evaluated by the JJC Academic Credentials Analyst, and any applicable credit awarded. More information can be found in the JJC Catalog under "Credit Without Attending Formal Classes."

  • Military Personnel Called to Active Duty

    Please contact the Veterans Coordinator for information. A copy of your Military Orders will be required.

  • Veterans Satisfactory Academic Policy (SAP)

    The term "veterans" refers to students eligible for and receiving VA Education Benefits and/or State of Illinois tuition assistance programs. Evaluations are made at the end of each semester to determine a student's progress toward a specified degree or eligible certificate. A student is considered to be making satisfactory progress if his/her Grade Point Average complies with the following GPA Requirements.

    Additionaly, a student must meet Joliet Junior College's Academic Standards of Progress.


    Minimum Cumulative GPA Requirements
    • 0-12 Credit Hours Attempted: 1.75 Minimum Cumulative GPA
    • 13-32 Credit Hours Attempted: 1.85 Minimum Cumulative GPA
    • 33-48 Credit Hours Attempted: 1.95 Minimum Cumulative GPA
    • 49-64 or above Credit Hours Attempted: 2.00 Minimum Cumulative GPA

    The first semester a student using veterans education benefits fails to meet these requirements, he/she is placed on probation and a written notice to this effect is mailed to him/her. A student on probation has one semester to comply with the minimum academic standards of progress. If the student meets this provision, probation will be lifted. If the student fails to comply with the set standards at the end of the probationary semester, eligibility for all state and federal veterans' funds will be withdrawn, resulting in the student being placed on termination status. A written notice of termination, stating the reasons for withdrawal of eligibility, is mailed to each student affected. This notice includes a reminder of the on-campus support and counseling services available. When a student is terminated, JJC is required to notify the VA and suspend benefit certification until minimum standards are reached. JJC is not allowed to bill ISAC for Illinois Veterans Grant or Illinois National Guard Grant. Additionally, the Veterans Administration cannot be billed for MIA/POW tuition assistance for a terminated student. Termination from the use of benefits does not, however, mean termination from Joliet Junior College.

    The Veterans Administration in Chicago monitors Standards of Progress for all student participating in the Veterans Vocational Rehabilitation Program.

    Appeal Procedure

    Students may appeal their termination to the Standards of Progress Appeal Committee in writing. Forms are available in the Financial Aid Office for the appeal process. Supporting documentation must accompany the request.

    Reinstatement Procedure

    The student must increase his/her GPA in accordance with the standards listed above to be reinstated, or have their appeal granted by the Standards of Progress Appeal Committee.

  • Changing Your Major

    Please meet with an academic adviser to determine the degree you will be seeking at Joliet Junior College. Inform the Veterans Resource Center staff of any changes.

  • Restrictions of Education Benefits (GI Bill)

    You may only be certified and receive benefits for courses that are required for your stated major. You are allowed to take remedial/deficiency courses if required, however, they may not be taken online.  Non-credit courses will not be approved for benefits. You cannot receive benefits for courses that have been previously taken and successfully completed at JJC or any other accredited institution. You cannot receive benefits for courses that are taken for audit.

    You may not continue to receive Veterans Education Benefits if you fail to maintain satisfactory academic progress, as measured by the Veterans Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy. If you are receiving benefits under Chapter 1606, Reservist GI Bill, you must continue to participate satisfactorily in your unit for your eligibility to continue. If you have entitlement under more than one chapter of GI Bill benefits, you must notify the Veterans Office under which chapter you wish to be certified. If you are not a degree seeking student at JJC (JJC is supplemental school), but are taking classes here to transfer back to another school where you are seeking a degree (parent school) you must notify the Veterans Office of this, and will need to furnish our office with proper documentation in writing from parent school of such.

  • Principles of Excellence

    On April 27, 2012, President Obama signed Executive Order 13607; Establishing the Principles of Excellence for educational institutions service members, veterans, spouses, and other family members. Joliet Junior College fully complies with the seven principles and is dedicated to helping our veteran and non-veteran students succeed! Educational institutions participating in the Principles of Excellence program agree to the following guidelines:

    Provide students with a personalized form covering the total cost of an education program.
    The Financial Aid Shopping Sheet is a consumer tool that is designed to simplify information that prospective students receive about costs and financial aid so that they can make informed decisions about which postsecondary institution to attend. This can be found within MyJJC.

    Provide educational plans for all military and Veteran education beneficiaries.
    Each student can access his or her degree plan in the student-planning module located in MyJJC. A list of all degrees and certificates can be found on in the JJC Course Catalog.

    End fraudulent and aggressive recruiting techniques and misrepresentations.
    Joliet Junior College does not participate in high-pressure recruitment-marketing tactics. Joliet Junior College will not provide any commission, bonus, or other incentive payment based directly or indirectly on securing enrollment of federal financial aid (including TA funds) to any persons or entities engaged in any student recruiting, admission activities, or making decisions regarding the award of student financial assistance.

    Accommodate Servicemembers and Reservists absent due to service requirements.
    When a student is called to military service, he or she may opt to complete the class or request a tuition and fees refund, in accordance with state and federal laws. The students should present a copy of the “military service orders” to the Office of the Registrar prior to leaving. Information for Called to Duty can be found on the this page.

    A student returning from military service may re-enter as a currently enrolled student in order to be given priority registration for the most immediate semester upon return. 

    Designate a point of contact to provide academic and financial advice.
    Veterans and their families may contact the Veterans Resource Center: 

    Ensure accreditation of all new programs prior to enrolling students.
    Joliet Junior College works with the State Approving Agency (SAA) to ensure accreditation of new programs prior to enrolling students in those programs.

    Align institutional refund policies with those under Title IV, which governs the administration of federal student financial aid programs.
    Joliet Junior College’s institutional refund policy aligns with the Title IV refund policies.