Illinois Certifications

There are a variety of Illinois certifications that are offered.

Illinois Alcoholism and Other Drug Abuse Professional Certification Association

The Illinois Alcoholism and Other Drug Abuse Professional Certification Association (also known as the Illinois Certification Board or ICB) offers alcohol and drug counseling certification at several levels. The advanced counseling certification requires a master's degree. It is different than other ‘above entry-level’ ICB alcohol and drug credentials in that one does not need to accrue additional experience.

The other certifications do not require college degrees, but degrees in related fields can hasten the certification process. Certification is based on education and training, experience, supervised practical training, and examination. At the lower levels, a portion of the experience requirement can be waived based on academic background.

Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselor (CADC)

Certified Alcohol and Drug Counselor (CADC) is the lowest alcohol and drug counseling certification. It is state-specific; a counselor who holds this credential cannot expect to be granted reciprocity by other IC&RC member boards. The individual will need 225 hours of education and training. Illinois requires counselors to have educational hours that are specific to 1) adolescents and/ or their families and 2) women and/ or their families. At the CADC level, the Certification Board expects 15 hours in each of these categories.

A clinically focused baccalaureate can substitute for 2,000 experience hours – the equivalent of one year. A clinically focused associate degree can substitute for 1,000 hours. The degree may be in community or rehabilitation counseling, social work, psychology, sociology, or criminal justice. The trainee will need 150 hours of supervised practical training. At this level, the candidate takes a state-specific examination: the CADC Illinois Examination.

Certified Reciprocal Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse Counselor (CRADC)

The next level is Certified Reciprocal Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse Counselor (CRADC). This requires an additional year of experience (three years total if the counselor does not have a qualifying degree). Clinically focused degrees can substitute for experience at the same level that they do for the CADC; thus, a person with a qualifying baccalaureate degree can have a CRADC after just two years of work.

The total education requirement is 300 hours. The requirement for adolescent- and women-specific alcohol and drug education doubles at this level; the counselor will need 30 hours in each of these content areas. In order to be certified at this level, a person will need to have passed both the CADC examination and the IC&RC ADC examination.

Certified Supervisor Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse Counselor (CSADC)

A substance abuse counselor will need five total years of experience to achieve Certified Supervisor Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse Counselor (CSADC) certification; at least two must be at the supervisory level. The counselor will need some additional education, including 30 hours in supervision. An additional examination is required at this level: the IC&RC Supervisor (CS) Examination.

Certified Advanced Alcohol and Drug Counselor (CAADC)

The Certified Advanced Alcohol and Drug Counselor (CAADC ) certification requires a degree at at least the master's level. The degree is to be in a behavioral science field; the program must include clinical application. The CAADC requires just one year of experience and 180 hours of education that is specific to alcohol and drug counseling. A candidate at this level will take the IC&RC Advanced AADC Examination; this is another nationally recognized examination.

Additional Certifications

  • Human Services Board Certified Practitioner (HS-BCP)

    The Center for Credentialing & Education (CCE) created the Human Services-Board Certified Practitioner (HS-BCP) with the assistance of the National Organization for Human Services (NOHS) in consultation with the Council for Standards in Human Service Education (CSHSE). The credentialing process was designed for human services practitioners seeking to advance their careers by acquiring independent verification of their practical knowledge and educational background.

    Applicants holding an associate, a bachelor's or advanced degrees obtain the HS-BCP credential through an independent review of their qualifications. Approval is based upon demonstrating the achievement of the required educational and professional experience and by passing a national examination developed by human services subject matter experts for human services practitioners. Visit CCE for more information.

  • Certified Domestic Violence Professional (CDVP), Certified Partner Abuse Intervention Professional (CPAIP)

    The Illinois Certified Domestic Violence Professionals, Inc. (ICDVP) was established to foster uniformity in domestic violence and partner abuse intervention services throughout the State of Illinois, and create recognized professions of Certified Domestic Violence Professionals (CDVP) and Certified Partner Abuse Intervention Professionals (CPAIP) by setting standards to certify domestic violence and partner abuse intervention professionals and regulating the process of certification.

    - Go to CDVP for information regarding the CDVP Certification criteria
    - Go to CPAIP for information regarding the CPAIP Certification criteria