Annually, after the Student Government members are in their roles, goals are determined. The group develops the goals as a group but then divides into smaller goal sub-committees to carry them out. The following goals are established for this year.
GOAL #1: Community Outreach
- Through the Welcome Week Dunk Tank, raise money and support Morningstar Mission. Outcome: $200 was raised and donated to Morningstar Mission in Joliet.
- Complete service projects in the community (Daybreak Shelter, Miracle League and others to be determined) To date: Lunch was served at Daybreak Shelter by SG members, several members are going to the MLK Day of Service on 1/20/14 and additional projects are planned.
- Research and host an event with a senior citizen home (e.g. a Senior Prom or an ongoing program such as "adopt a grandparent" program).
Goal #2: Sustainability
- Develop a series of posters to provide informatinon about sustainability and savings that would be realized by being more sustainable. To date: Posters are being developed and will be displayed in the spring 2014 semester.
- Working with the Students for a Sustainable Future, host Earth Day events including a Recycled Art Show and a vendor fair with exhibits of earth friendly products and services as well as organizations who work to support the green efforts. To date: Recycled Art Show registration forms are being developed and will be distributed around campus.
- To host a large scale stress relief activity on or around finals week in the spring semester. Details to come!
Goal #3: Campus Climate
- Sell balloons denoting the various cancers that will be released during the All College Relay for Life on April 12th, 2014. SG will work with American Cancer Society to also sell signs indicating support for cancer research and services. Proceeds will support the All College Relay for Life.
- Continue to have representation on 13 college committees and provide student input on topics relevant to the groups. To date: SG members continue to provide student input on the college committees requesting it. Some of the committes served on include: Enrollment Management, Academic Standards, Curriculum Committee, Environmental Health and Safety, Parking Appeals, Technology Advisory Committee, Cost and Energy Savings Committee etc.
- Create a holistic holiday environment with decorations and our wolf mascot distributing candy canes. Outcome: SG members participated in the Multicultural Holiday event sponsored by the Office of Student Activities and distributed candy canes and good cheer to students during that event. A tree has been donated by a member. That tree will be used in the coming years during the holiday season.
- Utilize the designated parking spaces near the entrances for a Parking Space raffle allowing students to park close for a designated amount of time. To date: 12 students won reserved parking for a two week period in the fall semester and $250 was given to one lucky student at the end of the semester. The spring semester will host a silent auction for the reserved parking spaces for a one month time period and one cash award will go to a student at the end of the semester.
- Host a JJC Dance Off for students. To date: February 19th has been chosen as the date. Promotional flyers are out and registration forms are available for contestants.
- Collaborate with Phi Theta Kappa to coordinate a "Commit to Complete" Spirit Week to encourage students to achieve their goals at JJC. To date: Spirit Week will be held March 3rd-7th. Activities are currently being discussed and developed.
Other events hosted by SG included:
- Constitution Day
- Several members attended the ICCSAA Fall Conference in Gurneeand received the Ed Snyder Merit Book Award for the 6th year.
- SG will be hosting a Student Government Exchange with other community colleges nearby to network and exchange ideas (February 15, 2014).