Financial Aid/Veterans Office
Campus Center: A-1020
Phone: (815) 280-2528
Fax: (815) 280-2547

Office Hours
Monday – Thursday: 7:30am – 7:30pm
Friday: 7:30am - 4:30pm

Summer Office Hours:
Monday - Thursday: 7:30am - 7:30pm
Closed Friday: May 23 through August 8

Special Office Hours:

  • The Saturday before the first day of Fall semester 8:00am - 4:00pm
  • The Saturday before the first day of Spring semester 8:00am – 2:00pm
  • Spring Break week (Monday-Friday) 7:30am - 4:30pm


Supporting Our Veterans - Click for more information

Pace Ride Share

Veterans Education Programs at JJC 

Students Studying 

The following programs are available to students eligible for VA Education Benefits and/or State of Illinois tuition assistance programs.


A Veterans Educational Benefit Request Form must be completed each semester after the student registers in order to have benefits applied.

State Tuition Programs

  • Illinois Veterans Grant (IVG): Must have been an Illinois resident at time of enlistment, established residency back in Illinois within six months of discharge, and served at least a year of active duty with an honorable discharge. This grant will pay for up to 120 credits of college tuition at any Illinois public college. There is no expiration date. Applications are available online or in the Financial Aid/Veterans Office in the Campus Center, A-1020. IVG provides payment of tuition, student service fees, capital assessment fees, and technology fees, but does not cover course fees at JJC.
  • Illinois National Guard Grant: (ING) Must be a current member of the Illinois National Guard in good standing, and have completed a year as such. This grant must be applied for each school year, and will pay tuition at any Illinois public college (school must be listed on application). Illinois National Guard members must apply each academic year for the Illinois National Guard Grant (ING). Applications (and deadlines for applying) are available on the ISAC website. ING covers tuition and student service fees, but does not cover capital assessment fees, technology fees, or course fees.
  • Illinois MIA/POW Scholarship: This program is for dependents (spouse or children) of Illinois veterans. The veteran must be listed on the Veterans Administration records as either MIA/POW, deceased due to military service, or disabled due to military service. It will also cover tuition at any Illinois public college. Survivors/Dependents who apply for and are determined eligible for the scholarship will receive a MIA/POW Identification letter from the state. A copy of this letter must be submitted  to the Financial Aid/Veterans Office. Applications are available in the Financial Aid/Veterans Office. For more information visit: ISAC website  MIA/POW covers tuition only.

Back to Top

Tuition Assistance

This program is offered by certain branches of service for members still on active duty, or currently in the reserves. Please check with your branch of service for the application procedure. Completed authorization forms received back from unit need to be taken to JJC Student Accounts and Payments for processing.

Back to Top

Veterans Vocational Rehabilitation (VVR)

This is a program established by the Veterans Administration to provide assistance to certain disabled veterans in achieving their academic and career goals. This program must be applied for at, and approved by, the VA Office in Chicago, Illinois. Once approved, an authorization form will be issued by that office, and needs to be sent to JJC's Veterans Office for processing.

Back to Top

Post-9/11 GI Bill

The Post - 9/11 GI Bill is a Veterans Administration (Federal) program. Based upon your eligibility, it pays up to 100 % of tuition and fees to the school. It also includes a book stipend of up to $1,000 a year and a monthly housing allowance paid to the student.  Benefits paid are based on a student's enrollment. The school is required to certify the student's classes to the VA each semester, including any changes in enrollment.

Only active duty service performed after September 10, 2001 will be considered for determining eligibility for this benefit. To be eligible, a service member or veteran must have served at least 90 aggregate days on active duty. Individuals honorably discharged for a service connected disability who served 30 continuous days after September 10, 2001 may also establish eligibility. The VA will make all determinations for eligibility. Please visit VA website for more information.

Back to Top

Montgomery GI Bill

The Montgomery GI Bill is a Veterans Administration (Federal) program. It provides a monthly payment to the recipient, as a supplement to their income while attending college. It does not pay anything directly to the school, to cover tuition or books. Benefits are paid based upon a student's enrollment.  The school is required to certify the student's classes to the VA each semester, including any changes in enrollment.

  • Chapter 30, Active Duty GI Bill: Veteran would have chosen to participate in GI Bill, and authorized payments deducted from his first twelve monthly checks while in the service.
  • Chapter 1606, Reservist GI Bill: Student is a member in good standing in either the Illinois National Guard, or one of the military's reserve units.
  • Chapter 1607, Reserve Educational Assistance Program GI Bill (REAP): Student is a member of the reserve component who is called or ordered to active service in response to a war or national emergency. Rate of pay is determined by length of active duty service.
  • Chapter 35, Survivors and Dependents GI Bill: This program is for the spouse, children, or step-children of service members that are either deceased because of military service, or totally and permanently disabled due to military service, or are listed as MIA/POWs.

Back to Top

Applying for Post 9/11 or Montgomery GI Bill:

 Apply to Joliet Junior College and follow the new student steps.

If this is your first time applying for the GI Bill, you must fill out a 22-1990 form on the VA's website and provide your Certificate of Eligibility to the Financial Aid/Veterans Office. If you have previously used GI Bill at another school you must complete a "Request for Change of Program or Place of Training", and return it to the JJC Financial Aid/Veterans Office. You must declare a major and take only courses required for that degree in order to be certified for GI Bill . The stated degree or certificate must be on the approved list of majors as given by the State Approving Agency in order to be certified for GI Bill.

  • Initial applications for GI Bill should be accompanied by a photocopy of the veteran or reservist's DD214, member 4. Reservists also need to obtain a NOBE (Notice of Basic Eligibility) from their unit and furnish it to our office along with the application form.
  • All students with prior college training must submit official transcripts from all other institutions to the JJC Office of the Registrar for evaluation.  Failure to transfer credits within one semester of attendance could result in suspension of GI Bill benefits until reported.

Veterans and Reservists using GI Bill (with the exception of the Post-9/11 bill)  must verify their enrollment monthly to the VA, either by phone or internet. To access the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) system go to the Department of Veterans Affairs GI Bill Web site and follow the directions, or call (877) 823-2378 and follow the prompts.

Please note that this monthly verification of enrollment needs to be done on the last day of each month of attendance, or slightly thereafter. Failure to do so will result in delay of payment to veteran/reservist. However, that this does not replace the school's certification of your classes. You still need to request that the Veterans Office certify your classes each semester. Your monthly verification to the VA is to confirm each month the information that the school has already sent for the semester.

Changing Your Major

Please meet with an academic counselor/advisor to determine the degree you will be seeking at Joliet Junior College. Inform the Financial Aid/Veterans Office of any changes.

Back to Top

Restrictions of Education Benefits (GI Bill)

You may only be certified and receive benefits for courses that are required for your stated major. You are allowed to take remedial/deficiency courses if required, however, they may not be taken online.  Non-credit courses will not be approved for benefits. You cannot receive benefits for courses that have been previously taken and successfully completed at JJC or any other accredited institution. You cannot receive benefits for courses that are taken for audit.

You may not continue to receive Veterans Education Benefits if you fail to maintain satisfactory academic progress, as measured by the Veterans Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy. If you are receiving benefits under Chapter 1606, Reservist GI Bill, you must continue to participate satisfactorily in your unit for your eligibility to continue. If you have entitlement under more than one chapter of GI Bill benefits, you must notify the Veterans Office under which chapter you wish to be certified. If you are not a degree seeking student at JJC (JJC is supplemental school), but are taking classes here to transfer back to another school where you are seeking a degree (parent school) you must notify the Veterans Office of this, and will need to furnish our office with proper documentation in writing from parent school of such.

Back to Top

College Credit for Military Training

Joliet Junior College will award seven college credits (four credits of physical education, HPR 101, and a three credit health class, BIO 103) to any service member who served a minimum of one year active duty, and was discharged honorably. Complete the Request for Military Credit Form and return to the Veterans Office at JJC with a photocopy of the DD214, member 4.

If a veteran feels that he/she has specific training or classes while in the military that are the equivalent of college credits, he/she may request that an official military transcript be sent from their branch of service to the JJC Academic Credentials Office. Upon receipt of the transcript, and completion of a Transcript Evaluation Form, transcripts will be evaluated by the JJC Academic Credentials Analyst, and any applicable credit awarded.

To order Military Transcripts:

Army, Coast Guard,

Marine Corps or Navy

Air Force (CCAF)


Back to Top

Military Personnel Called to Active Duty

Please contact the Veterans Coordinator for information. A copy of your Military Orders will be required.

Back to Top

© 2012 Joliet Junior College

Joliet Junior College
1215 Houbolt Road, Joliet, IL 60431-8938
Phone: (815) 729-9020