Financial Aid/Veterans Office
Campus Center: A-1020
Phone: (815) 280-2528
Fax: (815) 280-2547

Office Hours
Monday – Thursday: 7:30am – 7:30pm
Friday: 7:30am - 4:30pm

Summer Office Hours:
Monday - Thursday: 7:30am - 7:30pm
Closed Friday: May 23 through August 8

Special Office Hours:

  • The Saturday before the first day of Fall semester 8:00am - 4:00pm
  • The Saturday before the first day of Spring semester 8:00am – 2:00pm
  • Spring Break week (Monday-Friday) 7:30am - 4:30pm


Supporting Our Veterans - Click for more information

Pace Ride Share


Students on JJC Main Campus 

These terms and definitions will help you in the financial aid process. Please review them to prepare yourself for the Financial Aid Quiz.

If you have a question that isn't included here, check the Financial Aid FAQ.

E-mail further questions by contacting us at

150% Rule

Students may attempt a maximum of 150% of their program's required hours. For a 64-semester hour associate degree, the student is permitted to attempt 96 credit hours. Upon attaining 96 credits the student becomes immediately ineligible for Title IV aid. This situation may be appealed.

Completion Rate Requirement

At the end of each semester, the student must have satisfactorily completed 66.66% attempted hours.

Associate Degree

To be awarded an associate's degree at Joliet Junior College each student must meet all of the criteria listed under graduation requirements in the catalog for that degree.

Attempted Hours

Include all classes that a student receives a grade of "F" (Failed), "W" (Withdraw), "I" (Incomplete), "TE" (Time Extended), transfer hours and dual credit.


When a student signs up for a class as an auditor, no letter grade will be assigned, but the course designated as an audit ("L") will appear on the student's permanent record.

Back to Top

Campus-Based Programs (FSEOG)

The FSEOG and Federal Work Study; FWS are called campus-based programs because they are administered directly by the financial aid office.


To be awarded a Certificate of Achievement or a Certificate of Completion, each student must meet all of the criteria listed under graduation requirements in the catalog for the certificate.

Dependency Status

If you are considered dependent on your parents, you must report their income and assets as well as your own on the FAFSA. If you are independent, you must report only your income and asset information (and those of your spouse if you are married).

Expected Family Contributions (EFC)

Any amount you and your family are expected to contribute toward your education. This calculation is determined by the Department of Education.

Federal Direct Loan Program

A federal loan program administered by the college with a low interest rate. Students who apply early, demonstrate financial need, and are enrolled at least part-time may apply for this loan.

Back to Top

Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

A federal grant under campus-based programs that you do not have to repay. The school sets criteria for awarding the funds. Preference is given to students who demonstrate need and complete the FAFSA early.

Federal Work-Study (FWS)

The FWS Program provides part-time jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay for educational expenses. Students must be enrolled at least half time.

Financial Aid Probation

When students fail to meet the minimum standards of progress for any enrolled semester, she/he will be placed on financial aid probation.

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

The federal application students complete in order to apply for federal and state financial aid programs.

Full Time

At Joliet Junior College, full time is considered to be twelve or more semester hours of college credit.

Back to Top

Grade Point Average (GPA)

Grade point averages are computed by multiplying the number of credits earned in a course, times the number of quality points a grade is worth. To determine the GPA, add the quality points together and divide by the number of credits attempted. (Example: An "A" in English 101 = 3 credit hours times 4 quality points totaling 12 quality points. Now divide 12 quality points by 3 credit hours to calculate the GPA for the "A" in English 101. The GPA for the course is 4.0). Scale of quality points: A = 4, B = 3, C = 2, D = 1, F = 0

Half Time

At Joliet Junior College, half time is considered to be six to eight semester hours of college credit.

Incomplete Grade

An incomplete ("I") grade may be given to a student who because of illness or other unique circumstances has not been able to complete a course in a prescribed amount of time. For purposes of computing the grade point average the ("I") will be computed as an ( "F"). An ("F") grade means the student has failed the course and receives no credit or quality points for that course.

Pell Grants

A Federal Pell Grant, unlike a loan, does not have to be repaid. Only undergraduate students may qualify. Pell Grants may provide a foundation of financial aid to which other aid may be added.

Probationary Semester

After the first semester that a student fails to meet the minimum standards of progress, he/she will be placed on financial aid probation.

Back to Top

Reinstatement Procedures

A student may appeal his or her financial aid termination status. An appeal form and supporting documentation must be submitted to the Standards of Progress Appeal Committee. The committee will review all complete appeal requests. The decision of the Standards of Progress Appeal Committee is final.

Remedial Courses

Developmental courses ("0" Level) do not apply toward a degree, but are counted toward the total number of hours permitted under financial aid.

Repeating Courses

When a course is repeated, the grade given at the end of the repeated course becomes the official grade. Both grades will remain on the permanent record, but the second grade is used to compute the GPA.


A restriction is placed on the record of a student who owes the college money, has been placed on social or academic probation, or has other obligations. In general, the restriction will prevent the student from transacting any business at the college.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

According to federal and state guidelines, students must maintain satisfactory academic progress in order to be eligible to receive and maintain financial assistance.

Back to Top

Selective Service Registration

If required by law, you must register or arrange to register with the Selective Service in order to receive federal student aid. This applies to males born on or after January 1, 1960, are at least 18 years old, are citizens or eligible non-citizens and are not currently on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces.

Special Circumstances

If your family experiences a loss of income, natural disaster, divorce/separation, change of employment, or a family death, the financial aid office can re-evaluate your eligibility.

Student Aid Report (SAR)

When your completed application is received by the processing system, the processor will produce a Student Aid Report (SAR). Your SAR will report your Expected Family Contribution (EFC), the number used in determining your eligibility for federal student aid.


While on probation, if a student fails to comply with the financial aid minimum standards of progress for a second consecutive semester, the student's financial aid will be terminated.

Three Quarter Time

At Joliet Junior College, three quarters time is considered to be 9 to 11 semester hours of college credit.

Withdrawal Policy

In order to withdraw from a class, a withdrawal must be processed through the registration office by telephone, online, or in person before the last day to withdraw.

Back to Top

© 2012 Joliet Junior College

Joliet Junior College
1215 Houbolt Road, Joliet, IL 60431-8938
Phone: (815) 729-9020