Financial Aid/Veterans Office
Campus Center: A-1020
Phone: (815) 280-2528
Fax: (815) 280-2547

Office Hours
Monday – Thursday: 7:30am – 7:30pm
Friday: 7:30am - 4:30pm

Summer Office Hours:
Monday - Thursday: 7:30am - 7:30pm
Closed Friday: May 23 through August 8

Special Office Hours:

  • The Saturday before the first day of Fall semester 8:00am - 4:00pm
  • The Saturday before the first day of Spring semester 8:00am – 2:00pm
  • Spring Break week (Monday-Friday) 7:30am - 4:30pm


Supporting Our Veterans - Click for more information

Pace Ride Share

Financial Aid FAQ 

Students Studying at Main Campus 

Should I do the Admissions or Financial Aid process first?

You should follow the admissions process first. In order for the Financial Aid Office to put financial aid on a student account, there must be an admissions application on file with the Admissions Office. There is no fee to apply to JJC and it's easy to do online. See the admissions page to learn more about applying.

How can I apply for financial aid?

See the financial aid checklist for a step by step guide on applying for financial aid.

When do I apply for financial aid and how often should I apply?

You only need to apply for financial aid once each academic year. The earliest date is January 1 prior to the academic year you plan to attend.

Are there scholarships available?

Please visit the scholarships page for more information on scholarships.

What is JJC's Title IV school code?

JJC's school code is 001699.

What is a FAFSA?

FAFSA stands for Free Application for Federal Student Aid. This application is for government and state grants.

Where can I get a FAFSA?

You can apply for a FAFSA at FAFSA on the web is designed to help you catch any errors before your application is sent.

What types of aid am I considered for when completing the FAFSA?

  • Pell Grant: available to undergraduates and does not have to be repaid. It can be used for tuition, fees, books, and living expenses.
  • Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (FSEOG: Campus-based grant awarded to undergraduates that does not have to be repaid. It can be used for same expenses as the Pell Grant.
  • Illinois Student Assistance Commission Monetary Award Program (ISAC MAP): Illinois state grant is available to undergraduate students that does not have to be repaid, is used for tuition and fees, excluding course fees at JJC.
  • Illinois Incentive for Access Grant (IIA): Illinois supplemental grant available to undergraduate freshmen student with an EFC of 0.
  • Federal Work-Study (FWS): Based on EFC and enrolled in 6 credit hours. This is also paid every two weeks in conjunction with the regular college payroll.
  • Direct Student Loans: Student loans are not awarded up front. Please inquire at the reception desk if you want to apply for a loan.

Do I need to complete the FAFSA if I'm only applying for scholarships?

A student applying for scholarships would need to file a FAFSA since many scholarships are need based.

Do I have to fill out a FAFSA to apply for a student loan?

You must fill out the FAFSA to apply for a loan. This is done to determine eligibility.

What do I do if my company will pay for my classes?

Joliet Junior College will invoice your company as long as there are no stipulations of covering your tuition, such as grade or attendance requirements. Contact Student Accounts and Payments for specifics.

How can I get an itemized tuition receipt?

There are two ways to obtain an itemized tuition receipt. One is to come in person to the main or north campus cashiers with your student id and a print out will be generated on the spot. Otherwise, you must mail in a self-stamped addressed envelope to the Joliet Junior College Student Accounts and Payments with your name, student id, and the semester you need the receipt for.


What is a Job Grant book voucher?

It is a book voucher for students who receive WIA grant funding from the Workforce Services Division of Will County or businesses who have an established agreement with the college to pay for their employees' books. For more information call (815) 280-1526.

How do I know if I am dependent or independent?

This depends mostly on your age, but sometimes on other things. For the 2008-2009 school year (July 1, 2008, through June 30, 2009), the U.S. Department of Education considers the following students to be independent of their parent(s):

  • Students who are at least 24 years old by December 31, 2008; or
  • Students who are not yet 24 but who:
    1. Are orphans (both parents are deceased);
    2. Are wards of the court, or were until age 18;
    3. Are veterans of the U.S. Armed Forces;
    4. Have legal dependents (children or persons other than a spouse) that you provide support;
    5. Will be graduate or professional students in 2006-2007;
    6. Are married; or
    7. Can prove to the school unusual circumstances that show independent status (requires additional documentation).

The rules about dependency relate to students who are applying for federal financial aid.

What is JJC's cost of attendance (COA)?

A student's cost of attendance is about $14,000 and, for those living at home, the cost of attendance is $9,750. These numbers are estimated based on the annual full-time costs for tuition and fees, books and supplies, room and board, transportation and miscellaneous expenses. Childcare allowances can also be added to a student's COA.

Can my financial aid cover charges for student housing?

Financial Aid does not directly cover any charges for housing. However, if a student has aid funds remaining after tuition, fees and books are paid, the student has the choice to have the money applied to housing charges. An award letter and a signed release with the Centennial Commons office must be on file in order for aid to be applied to Centennial Commons rent. The following items are not covered: security deposit, cable, phone, utilities, required fees, required monthly rent fee, and the required deferred payments due the first three months of each semester.

Does financial aid cover the summer?

That depends. If there is remaining aid eligibility from the previous fall and spring semester, you may be able to use it for the summer semester. You should consult with the Financial Aid Office. The only options available, if eligible, are Pell, FWS, and student loans.

How can I check the status of my financial aid?

If the student provided the Financial Aid Office with their student aid forms, the student can contact our office to check the status of their file. If the student has not received the results of the FAFSA application, the student can check their status at the FAFSA Web site or the student can call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at (800) 433-3243.

Can I get loans if my financial aid has been terminated due to Standards of Progress?

If your financial aid is terminated you are not eligible to receive any loans since they are federal aid.

Will previous unsuccessful semesters affect my financial aid even if I paid for classes myself?

Previous unsuccessful semesters do affect aid eligibility even if you paid for the classes on your own.

If I attend JJC and another institution simultaneously, can I receive grants from both schools?

If you are receiving financial aid at one school, you cannot receive aid at another school for that same semester. You may enter into a consortium agreement to enable you to receive more aid, however. You are to contact the financial aid office at the school you will attain your degree.

When will my Pell check and Loan check be disbursed?

Pell refund checks are sent out at the 60% point of the semester is over. Usually this occurs about 1 month before the semester is ends. Loan checks are mailed out, at the earliest, 30 days after the semester begins. Late applicants will receive their loans at a later date.

What is Satisfactory Academic Progress?

To be eligible to receive federal student aid, you must maintain satisfactory academic progress toward a degree or certificate. You must meet JJC's Standards of Progress Policy.

If I am not eligible for financial aid, what other options are available to me?

What is a special circumstance and how do I report it?

Loss of a job or benefits, death in the family, divorce or separation, or extreme medical bills is examples of special circumstances that can change your financial aid eligibility. Please call the office to discuss your situation.

How will receiving outside scholarships affect my financial aid?

If you receive outside scholarships, a financial aid adviser will attempt to maintain all previously awarded grants, scholarships, student work and student loans to the extent that federal and state regulations permit. If a reduction is necessary the advisor will reduce loans or work allocations first. It is the student's responsibility to report all outside scholarships.

Will my financial aid change from year to year?

Probably. Your financial aid eligibility is based on many variables, including your FAFSA information, academic performance, and housing arrangements. Your aid may be influenced by a change in your family's ability to pay, an increase or decrease in federal and state funding, or by missing a required deadline.

What is drop for non-payment?

This is a de-registration process. When you register you are assigned a due date. If your tuition balance is not paid for by this date you will be removed from the course.

If I am awarded work-study funds, how do I find a job?

It is your responsibility to find a job if you are awarded work-study funds. The Career Service Center, Campus Center A-1175, posts job opportunities frequently on

Follow the instructions for applying for a student worker position.

© 2012 Joliet Junior College

Joliet Junior College
1215 Houbolt Road, Joliet, IL 60431-8938
Phone: (815) 729-9020