If you qualify for STAR, there are a few things that are required in order to arrange for services. Please follow these steps:
Contact STAR at Joliet Junior College and apply for services by calling (815) 280-2230 if you need help following these steps.
- Pre-planning: Please read through our StAR web site and learn about our Program. It is important to know that StAR does not provide "case management" such as students receive in special education prior to graduating high school. StAR's role is to provide accomodations under the law (ADA AA/Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act). StAR's services are described throughout the StAR's website at www.jjc.edu/info/star.
- Please read our documentation policy ahead of time. This will explain what you will need in order to receive ADA/504 accommodations.
- Placement Testing: Once you have been accepted by the college, plan for your placement test. Read about testing accommodations for COMPASS if you feel you will need any.
- Request accommodations: through StAR by arranging for an Intake appointment as soon as possible - preferably at least six weeks before the first day of classes. It is necessary to bring the required documentation with you to your Intake appointment. Go to the link for StAR's "Documentation Policy"
- Specialized accommodations such as Recordings for the Blind and Dyslexic audio books and/or e-text, large print handouts or a sign language interpreter must be requested in advance to allow StAR a reasonable time period to arrange services.* (If interested in e-text, a receipt as proof of purchase is required).
Contact StAR at Joliet Junior College to apply for services. Call (815) 280-2230.
*Please note: Sometimes advance notice of more than six to eight weeks is necessary in order to provide some accommodations!