LPN STEP testing is a product of ATI (Assessment Technologies Institute).
Joliet Junior College uses this exam as a part of the competitive entry process for the Nursing program. This assessment is based on the NCLEX-PN test plan and consists of eight topics: Adult medical-surgical, fundamentals, management, maternal-newborn, mental health, nursing care of children, nutrition, and pharmacology. Effective October 2013, the Academic Skills Center will begin offering this exam as part of its testing services.
To learn more about this computerized test, please read through the information below:
Acceptable Forms of Identification
LPN STEP examinees must bring a current, government-issued photo ID, such as a driver's license or passport.
Retaking the Test
Testers are discouraged from testing multiple times over the course of a single semester. Only the FIRST test score for the semester will be considered. For the purposes of this procedure, a semester will be defined as beginning on the first day of classes for a given semester and ending on the day before the first day of classes for the next semester. Click here to view the current JJC Academic Calendar.
First day of Fall semester classes
|Day before first day of Spring semester classes|
First day of Spring semester classes
|Day before first day of Summer I semester classes|
First day of Summer I semester classes
|Day before first day of Fall semester classes|
Any examinee who has a documented disability affecting his or her ability to sit for the test should be accommodated appropriately during the administration of any ATI assessment. The Academic Skills Center will work closely with JJC's Student Accommodations and Resources Department (StAR) to provide this accommodation. If you feel you need a testing accommodation, please work with the ASC Secretary and ASC Coordinator. The ASC Secretary may be reached at 815-280-6667.
Steps to Take the Test
- Click here to register and pay online at ATI's secure website. Be sure to select Joliet Junior College as your location to take your LPN-STEP exam. When creating (or editing) your ATI user name and password, be sure to choose "Joliet Junior College" as your institution, and type your seven-digit JJC ID number under the Student ID number field. Without these two pieces of information, your scores cannot be uploaded into your JJC Student Record.
- Be sure to review the Academic Skills Center Testing Policies.
On the day of testing...
- Arrive at the testing center 15 minutes before your scheduled testing session with your acceptable form of identification; if you do not have appropriate photo identification, you will not be allowed to test. There are no exceptions to this rule!
- Receive an LPN STEP Interpretation Guide with next steps on how to retrieve your scores and who to speak with when considering retesting.
- Effective July 2013, the cost of an LPN STEP exam will be $33 plus tax.
- Effective July 2014, the cost of an LPN STEP exam will be $35 plus tax.
Effective October 2013, LPN STEP testing will be available at the Main Campus in the Academic Skills Center located at A-1138 in the Campus Center.
Click here for directions to Main Campus at 1215 Houbolt Road in Joliet, IL 60431.
Click here for a Main Campus map.
Using Scores from another Institution
Joliet Junior College will not accept scores from another institution.
Last updated on June 3, 2014.