This is an intense eight week program designed through a cooperative effort by College of DuPage, Illinois Central College, and Joliet Junior College in collaboration with the Illinois Department of Veteran’s Affairs and the National Governors Association for Veterans who have completed the Medical Education and Training Campus (METC) Basic Medical Technician Corpsman Program* and seek to earn a practical nurse certificate. The program addresses differences in competencies between the rigorous METC Basic Medical Technician Corpsman Program and those of a practical nursing program as delineated in the Illinois Nurse Practice Act. Program components include didactic, clinical and skills validation learning experiences. Upon successful program completion, students will be awarded a practical nurse certificate and may apply for licensure as a Licensed Practical Nurse by successful completion of the National Council Licensure Examination for Practical Nurses (NCLEX-PN).
*Navy B-300-0010 Hospital Corpsman (HM-0000), Air Force Phase 1 L8AQJ4N031 01AA, Aerospace Medical Service Apprentice Course (4N031)
Prerequisites and Compliance Criteria:
Successful completion of the METC Basic Medical Technician Corpsman Program within the last five years. If more than five years, at least one year of experience using corpsman skills in last five years.
- Complete the general college application.
- Complete the transcript evaluation form.
- Submit official military transcripts for review.
- Complete the program application. The next program will run when we have at least 8 qualified applicants ready to begin the program. Qualified applicants will be contacted when the minimum number of 8 have been reached.
- If it has been more than five years since completing the METC Program, submit a letter from your current and/or previous employer detailing the corpsman skills used on the job. Letter may be submitted to Kathleen Cartwright, Nursing Admission Specialist. Letter can be submitted electronically at firstname.lastname@example.org, mailed or brought into the JJC Admissions Department.
- Students who are admitted into the Military Medical Corpsman to Practical Nurse program will be required to complete a physical examination including lab work and/or immunizations as needed, a criminal background check, and a drug screen. Students must possess a current American Heart Association Basic Life Support (BLS) Healthcare Provider CPR card. CPR classes are held at JJC. For information about CPR classes, call 815-280-2336.
- Program costs.
For questions about the application process:
Please contact Kathleen Cartwright at 815-280-2429 or email@example.com.
For questions about the program:
Please contact Dr. Debbie Fitzgerald, Department Chair of Nursing, at 815-280-2857 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Student Housing Available:
- 8-week lease
- Studio - $799 per month, 2 Bedroom's - $599 per month, and 4 Bedroom's - $499 per month
- $60 credit and background check fee
- A $250 deposit (refundable at the end of the fulfilled contract and no damages) and signed lease is required once approved
NCLEX Passage Rates:
PN Pass Rate -
2015 - 50%