​​Dayna Crabb
International Student Services Coordinator
Campus Center: A-1114
Phone: (815) 280-2262
Email: Intlstudent@jjc.edu

International Admissions Office
Campus Center: A-1053
Phone: (815) 280-2883
Fax: (815) 280-6740
Email: InternationalAdmission@jjc.edu
Monday - Friday 7:30am - 4:00pm (CST)

General Admission Office Hours (CST):
Monday - Thursday: 7:30am - 7:30pm
Friday: 7:30am - 4:30pm



Steps to Apply

The choice to attend college in the United States under an F-1 visa is an exciting adventure and we are pleased to learn you are interested in beginning your college career at Joliet Junior College! Acceptance to Joliet Junior College will enable you to receive an I-20 which is required for students to apply for an F-1 visa. Students can find a Checklist included on the JJC International Application to help them keep track of when their admissions package is complete prior to mailing.   ​


  1. English Proficiency: Must prove level of English proficiency by one of the following options:
    1. TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) Score: You must send your original TOEFL report to JJC. Minimum scores must meet or exceed 45 iBT for Intensive English or 74 iBT for Academic Level.  TOEFL information can be found at www.ets.org JJC's destination code is 1346 to send transcripts.
    2. IELTS (International English Language Testing System) Score: You must send your original IELTS report to JJC. Minimum score must be 5.0 for Intensive English or 6.5 for Academic Level.
    3. Take the Joliet Junior College ESL Placement Test to determine if you are qualified for the Intensive English or Academic Level program.
    4. Successful completion of U.S. college-level English composition, equivalent to JJC's ENG 101, at a regionally accredited institution. Please submit an official U.S. college transcript for evaluation.
    5. Applicants are exempt from the English Language Proficiency Requirement if they are citizens of a recognized English-speaking country as identified by the United States government. 
  2. Foreign Academic Transcripts:
    1. To prove U.S. High School equivalency: Students to provide official transcripts in a sealed envelope from their high school / secondary education institution along with an English translation.  JJC reserves the right to request additional documentation, for example an evaluation by a third-party company such as Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE) or World Education Services (WES).  

    2. To prove college / university equivalency: Have your college level international transcript evaluated. JJC only accepts "Course-by-Course" credential evaluations conducted by a NACES approved organization such as Education Credential Evaluators (ECE) or World Education Services (WES). 

  1. JJC International Application 
    1. Print, complete, and submit JJC International Student Application​ by mail or email intlstudent@jjc.edu
  2. A Photocopy of your Passport 
    1. End date on passport must be valid for at least 6 months. Include photocopies of any F-2 dependents that will be accompanying the F-1 visa holder.
  3. Evidence of Support 
    1. All prospective students must submit financial documentation certifying access to funding for the duration of their studies pursuant to 8 CFR § 214.2 
    2. A student and his or her sponsor must submit (in English language), an official original bank letter on bank letterhead certifying the account holder's name, date account was opened, type of account, current balance in U.S. dollars, and date of statement. The bank account being used for evidence of financial support may be in the sponsor's name and must be notarized.  Must be dated within 90 days of issuing the I-20 and 6 months from the program start date.  Click here for a sample bank letter.
    3. If the student has a sponsor: Complete the Affidavit of Support found with the JJC International Application. If a student is completely self-funded, the Affidavit of Support is not needed.

Tuition may increase.


Change of Status
If you are already in the U.S.A. in another nonimmigrant category, you will need to file form I-539 for a change in status found in www.uscis.gov and include your Form I-20 with other required documents and fees. Please contact USCIS directly as certain visa types have restrictions.

Additional Documentation for Transfer Students Only
If transferring to JJC from another college or university in the United States

  1. I-20
    1. Copies of all I-20 forms issued to you, pages 1 and 3.
  2. A Copy (front and back) of your I-94
    1. If applicant is currently in the USA: Include photocopies of any F-2 dependent's I-94 (front and back).
  3. Copy of OPT Card (if applicable)
    1. Submit a copy of your OPT card with dates.
  4. All U.S. College Transcripts
    1. Include all official college/university transcripts from each institution you have attended in the past.
    2. JJC Transcript Evaluation Form
  1. International Transfer-In Form
    1. Completed by the student and current DSO upon acceptance. Please make a formal appointment with International Student Services by calling (815) 280-2262 ​or emailing intlstudent@jjc.edu.

All of the above documentation must be submitted as a complete package to be considered for admissions.

Mail completed package to:
International Student Services
Joliet Junior College
1215 Houbolt Road
Joliet, IL 60431-8938

Important Deadlines & Information for All Prospective Students

  • Shared Information
    • The Department of Homeland Security's SEVIS and USCIS computer systems receive all information concerning your application to Joliet Junior College for a Form I-20.
  • Deadline Dates
    • Please note the below deadline dates for complete applications and all supporting documentation.



Deadline: New Student

Deadline: Transferring F-1 Students

Fall Semester (August – December)

June 1st

July 1st

Spring Semester (January – May)

November 1st

December 1st


Health Insurance

    • Proof of health insurance coverage covering you in the United States. Proof of having purchased the appropriate health insurance must be turned in to the Admissions Office before the Program Start Date on your Form I-20. Insurance can be purchased at www.internationalstudentinsurance.com
    • (Please select: School Requirements tab, Illinois, and Joliet Junior College)

This school is authorized under Federal law to enroll nonimmigrant students.

Joliet Junior College provides access to third party links and information as a courtesy to our students. The College claims no responsibility for the content, reliability and/or activities of this linked, third-party website(s).