Policy Governing Proficiency Exams
- Proficiency examinations may be offered in all mathematics courses numbered 100 and above.
- A proficiency examination may be taken only by students currently enrolled at JJC.
- The examinee must show that he/she has the background to successfully complete the examination.
- Passing the proficiency examination, with a grade of 70% or higher, will entitle the student to the credit hours in the amount regularly allowed for the course.
- The cost for a proficiency examination will be twelve dollars per semester credit hour. The fee shall be paid in advance. A test will be prepared, proctored and graded.
Procedure for the Student
- Secure an application for Proficiency Exam from the Department Chair.
- Supply the information requested on the application and submit to the Department Chair for approval.
- After securing the Department Chair's approval, obtain approval of the Vice President of Academic Affairs.
- Take completed application to Student Accounts and Payments and pay $12.00 per semester hour of the course.
- Present the paid receipted application to the Department Chair who will arrange for the examination.
- The Department Chair will authorize credit if the examination has been successfully completed with a grade of 70% or better.
Proficiency examinations may not be used for:
- A course in which a student has previously been enrolled and dropped or failed.
- A course in which a student is currently enrolled except by recommendation of the instructor during the first two (2) weeks of class.
- A course that is a prerequisite to a course which a student has successfully completed or for which a student has received credit.