JJC Faculty on the Great Wall of China (October 2008)
The International Education Opportunities (IEO) Office at Joliet Junior College provides a variety of opportunities to students, faculty, staff and the community at large interested in enhancing their international and global understanding and perspectives. The IEO Office:
- Promotes student study-abroad opportunities around the world;
- Sponsors cultural/educational events at the college designed to celebrate and raise awareness about diverse cultural groups, both domestic and international;
- Provides international opportunities for staff to enhance their professional development through faculty exchanges and teaching opportunities abroad;
- Facilitates curricular internationalization across all disciplines;
- Nurtures a climate that celebrates all cultures and people.
History of International Education at JJC
JJC Faculty in front of Taj Mahal, India (March 2011)
The International Education Office was established in 1988 to coordinate college activities with global perspectives and to provide opportunities abroad for our district students, faculty, staff and community. Over the last two decades, the IE Office has received and successfully administered 3 U.S. Dept. of Education grants, and has received a fourth Title VIA Grant (2010-2013) for a total of approximately $450,000.00. JJC has received recognition at state & national levels as a model program in international education.
Internationalization of the curriculum continues through the development of new courses and the incorporation of international modules into existing courses.
Lecture series on global issues are offered throughout the year for students and the community. All curricular and co-curricular activities promote cross-cultural and international understanding with the goal of enhancing the educational experience for students in preparation for the diverse and global 21st century workplace.
The College has been an active member of the IL Consortium for International Studies & Programs (ICISP), one of the oldest international consortia in the country since 1987. Membership in ICISP affords JJC students study abroad opportunities in 8 countries and provides faculty and staff cost efficient professional exchanges with China, Finland, the Netherlands, Switzerland and Russia.