General Education Degrees 

Students studying in library 

If you are unsure of which associate degree is right for you, check with the counseling office or contact the university you intent to transfer to for their requirements and guidelines.

Associate in Arts

Associate in Arts degrees are for those intending to transfer to a four year university after JJC and major in the social sciences, humanities, fine arts, and other majors falling under the arts. See the Associate in Arts page for curriculum requirements.

Associate in Science

Associate in Science degrees are for those intending to transfer to a four year university after JJC and major in mathematics, natural sciences, technology, and other majors falling under the science category. See the Associate in Science page for curriculum requirements.

Associate in General Studies

The Associate in General Studies (A.G.S.) degree is granted to students who choose not to meet the more traditional requirements of other associate degree programs. Students may select from a variety of learning experiences and/or explore specialized interests in greater depth. Students are advised that the A.G.S. degree is not considered a transfer degree and may or may not transfer, all or in part, to senior institutions.

To complete an A.G.S. degree, students must:

  1. Complete a minimum of 64 earned semester hours. Note that no "0" level courses may be used toward completion of the 64 semester hour minimum.
  2. Complete a minimum of 15 earned semester hours in college transfer courses and/or in one occupational area.
  3. Successfully complete at least one course from five of the following seven areas: communications, humanities, social science, math, science, health/physical education, and vocational specialty courses.

Transfer Degree Requirements Associate of Arts in Teaching Special Education (A.A.T. SP.ED.) Degree

The Social and Behavioral Sciences Department offers various education courses so that students can begin their program of study to become a teacher, but it offers an Associate of Arts in Teaching in Special Education (AAT SPED) degree for those students who want to transfer into a special education teacher program at a four-year college or university. The AAT SPED degree transfers as a package, but students should work with the education advisors to make sure that their program of study fits with the requirements of the transfer institution.

© 2012 Joliet Junior College

Joliet Junior College
1215 Houbolt Road, Joliet, IL 60431-8938
Phone: (815) 729-9020