Emergency Telephone Numbers
- Front Office: (815) 942-1552
- JJC Environmental, Health, and Safety (EHS) Department
- On campus: ext. 2384
- Off-campus: (815) 280-2384
- The City Center Campus is equipped with a stairwell standpipe fire system; however, that does not necessarily eliminate the possibility of a fire occurring.
- The Renaissance Center first floor bakery (room 153) is equipped with a UL 400 fire suppression system with a fire suppression pull.
- The Renaissance Center first floor kitchen (room 154) is equipped with a UL wet chemical fire suppression system with two (2) fire suppression pulls.
- The Renaissance Center second floor bakery (room 237) is equipped with a PCL 300 fire suppression system with a fire suppression pull.
- Smoke and heat detectors are located throughout the campus and are indicated on the City Center evacuation/safety plans.
- A duct detector alarm panel is located in the front office (room 125).
- Smoke detectors are located in the ductwork near the roof. If smoke is detected, an alarm is sent to the fire alarm enunciator panel in the front office, the air handler units on the roof shut down the affected duct and the fire alarm system is activated.
- The City Center Campus is equipped with two fire doors:
- The double doors from the first floor lobby to the Renaissance Center are held open magnetically and close automatically when the fire alarm is activated. The reset switch to hold the doors open is switch #1 located in circuit panel 1-5 in the custodial closet (room 137).
- The double doors between the second floor high-rise to the Renaissance Center are held open magnetically and close automatically when the fire alarm is activated. The reset switch is located on the door frame.
- The campus will have posted evacuation plans, illuminated exit signs, emergency lights, and any necessary special fire safety equipment.
- The City Center Campus facility has a Simplex 4020 fire alarm control system with smoke, heat, and duct detectors, and fire alarm pull devices. Audible and visual signaling devices are located in corridors and common areas.
- The fire alarm enunciator panel, which indicates where in the building the alarm is originating from, is located in the front office (room 125).
- The fire alarm system is directly connected to the Joliet Fire Department (JFD). The system is monitored 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. The JJC Campus Police department is notified via a computer generated alarm when the fire alarm system is activated at the City Center Campus.
- When the fire alarm system is triggered, audible and visual signaling devices will activate. This signals the report of an emergency in the building. Everyone must consider the ringing of any fire alarm as a bona fide emergency and react accordingly. Upon the sounding of the fire alarm, the building must be evacuated as orderly and rapidly as possible.
- An exterior knox box is located outside the main entrance. A key to the main entrance is located in the lockbox. The JFD has a key to open the exterior knox box if access to the building is necessary when staff is not present.
- A fire escape stairwell is accessible from the northeast corner of the ballroom (room 231). The exit from the stairwell is to the alley, and an alarm is sent to the fire alarm control panel in the front office (room 125) when the bottom door is opened. The JJC Campus Police Department is notified via a computer generated alarm when the fire escape alarm is activated at the City Center Campus.
Note: The JFD is not notified via an alarm when the fire escape door alarm is activated.
Burglar Alarm System
The burglar alarm system provides direct notification to the Joliet Police Department (JPD) when the alarm is activated. Motion detectors are hooked into the alarm system, and if motion is detected after the alarm is set, the JPD will be notified. The JJC Campus Police Department is notified via a computer generated alarm when the burglar alarm system is activated at the City Center Campus.
An after-hours bell button is located outside the main entrance. The bell switch and one after-hours bell are located in the front office (room 125), and a second bell is located in the Renaissance Center hall 127. Any staff member staying after normal working hours must notify the CSO at extension 1209 and provide a room number/location, or leave a voice mail message. If an emergency occurs, the location of individuals in the building will be readily available to emergency response personnel. Advise the CSO when you are leaving the building.
Automatic Unlock Button
An automatic unlock button for the front office door is located under the front office counter (room 125).
Video Security System
Video cameras are installed in the building interior and on the building exterior. Security camera monitors are located near the CSO desk in the main hall and in the administrative office (room 01).
A panic button is located in the student lounge restroom (room 108) with a signal sent to an alarm panel in the front office (room 125) when pressed.
Note: The Joliet Police Department and the JJC Campus Police Department are not notified via an alarm when the panic button is activated.
Public Address System
The public address system is used to convey messages in case of tornado watches and warnings, building evacuations, "All Clear" notices, as well as other important messages regarding matters that must be immediately conveyed to the entire campus.
North Stairwell Emergency Call Boxes
Emergency call boxes were installed on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th floor landings in the north stairwell. If someone enters the north stairwell and cannot get to the 1st floor landing to exit, they will be able to press the call box button to connect to front office desk staff. The call box station in the front office is located on the wall directly behind the switchboard work station. In the event that the front office is closed, the JJC Campus Police Department will automatically be notified within 60 seconds of the call. Listed below are instructions for operating the call box and what to do in the event of an emergency in the north stairwell.
Emergency Call Receipt Procedure (front office staff):
- A buzzer will sound and a red light will indicate which floor the call is originating from.
- Press the ZONE button next to the red light indicator.
- Press the PUSH TO TALK/RELEASE TO LISTEN button.
- While pressing the PUSH TO TALK/RELEASE TO LISTEN button, acknowledge the call by asking if someone needs assistance, speaking clearly into the speaker.
- Release the PUSH TO TALK/RELEASE TO LISTEN button to listen for a reply.
- Contact and provide the CSO with the nature of the trouble and which floor the trouble is located on.
- To end the session, press the ZONE button next to the red blinking light again.
- Press the RESET button.
Note: If an emergency call is not answered within 60 seconds, the call goes directly to the JJC Campus Police Department.
- If a LINE FAULT indicator is lit on any of the floors, this means there is a problem with the system. Contact Aurora-TriState at (630) 978-0600 for service.
- To contact all floors at once:
- Press all four ZONE buttons individually.
- Press the PUSH TO TALK/RELEASE TO LISTEN button.
- While pressing the PUSH TO TALK/RELEASE TO LISTEN button, speak clearly into the speaker.
- To release all floors, simply press the four ZONE buttons again.
- Do not press the reset button.
The emergency call boxes will be tested monthly by the CSO.
Video Security System
Video security cameras are installed in the building interior and on the building exterior. Security camera monitors and control panels are located in the front office (room 125) and in room 520.
First Aid Kits
- Custodial office (room 135)
- Front office (room 125)
- Maintenance office (room 07)
- Renaissance Center chef's office (room 156)
- An automated external defibrillator (AED) is located in the front office (room 125).
- An emergency eye-wash unit is located on the basement sink.
- Emergency lights are located throughout the building.