The Joliet Junior College Emergency Response Plan is predicated on a realistic approach to the problems likely to be encountered on the campus during a major emergency or disaster. Hence, the following are general guidelines:
- The college functions under the National Incident Management System (NIMS) as its framework for working within a unified Incident Command System (ICS).
- An emergency or disaster may occur at any time of the day or night, weekend or holiday, with little or no warning.
- The succession of events in an emergency is not predictable; hence, published support and operational plans will serve only as a guide and checklist, and may require field modification in order to meet the requirements of the emergency.
- Disasters may affect residents in the geographical location of the college; therefore, city, county and federal emergency services may not be available.
- A major emergency may be declared if information indicates that such a condition is developing, or is probable.